Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:49 AM   #1
Default minolta maxxum 3000i w sigma lens

I am looking for a camera for my mother for xmas. She has no experience with photography other than point and shoot. I found this in classifieds today and am inquiring is it worth it and will it be user friendly for her.

Minolta Maxxum 3000i 35 mm camera, 3500xi flash, 314i flash, Sigma AF zoom lens (28-70 and 70-210), bag, film, manuals, and batteries. $100 or best cash offer.

I have found Nikon n6000 and Nikon 2020 but I think those may be a little too old?
Any response would be helpful at this point.
sunflowerof76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Super Moderator

why do you want to get a film camera?

i think your mother would much rather have the ability to review the photos after taking them on the lcd. and even if she is not a computer user, its easier to print photos off the sd card these days at the local walgreens/etc than it is to bring in film.

a compact p&s will be easier for her to use, as well as being much smaller. that 3000i with a 28-70 or 70-210 is going to be quite huge.

just doesnt make much sense to buy a film slr for anyone other than someone whos photography college requires them to shoot film.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:19 PM   #3

Thank you for the input. I will consider and talk to her about different options.
sunflowerof76 is offline   Reply With Quote