Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:51 PM   #1
Default D7000 or A55

Hey everyone,
Looking to jump into the world of photographing images of the things that are prominent in my life. I'd like to buy a camera that will not be an archive in a year or so and one what captures a good number of frames per second. I would like to take pictures in all elements, extreme cold and heat... and of fast moving objects .

I am 100% newbie and welcome all and any information, tips or suggestions.

movingviolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:02 AM   #2

A note of caution about the A55: It uses small batteries, so it won't last as long as the D7000 (or most other dSLRs), especially in the cold.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3

what kind of focal lengths are you looking for? as the lenses really affect the photography more than most other things - canon has the largest selection - nikon also has a large selection as long as you stick to the higher specced cameras - the others have pretty good selections for the msot part but lacking in the longer focal lengths though these are often covered by sigma so no real worries

if your really after a camera that will work in very cold conditions then the pentax k5 is the best suited as its rated to -10C - now most cameras can go well below 0C anyway but the k5 is the only one rated as such and it likely will significantly below what its rated at too - its also handy that you can keep shooting in the worst weather as the camera is entirely weather sealed

but thats only really needed if you invisage yourself shooting in terrible weather and bitterly cold temps

as tcav said best to stay away from cameras that have small batteries and that only gets worse in cold weather - most cameras will give you an indication of how many they can take from a single charge in the specs

canon and nikon are probably best if you are going to be taking action images in low light conditions - indoor sports that sort of thing since they have the longer focal lengths with the fast apertures needed for it

if your looking at the d7000 then also worth looking at would be canon 60d the pentax k5 and sony 580 - similar performances from them - some variations just depends on what your requirements are which might be best for you
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:09 PM   #4

Well, seems i scored the d7000 with 18-105 and 55-300 for $1699.00 which seemed like a good deal to me... They also liked the pentax k5 but couldnt get me into a good price...
movingviolation is offline   Reply With Quote