Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:08 PM   #1
Default New DSLR for New Photographer

Hey everyone - new to the forums and photography and need some buying advice!

I've been shooting with a Canon SD800IS for awhile now. Trying to get better, but I've been mainly limiting myself to automatic shoot mode. I'd like to get more serious and get better! As a christmas present this year, I'm looking to get myself a nice shiny DSLR. As a college student, budget is always a concern, but anything under $1000 will be okay.

I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing - looking for something decent all around if possible. So far I've been dabbling in nature photography, but I'd like to give HDR and macro photography a go too. I'd like a solid camera that will last me awhile - I probably won't be upgrading anytime soon.

I've read some other recommendations here, and I was looking at something like the Canon Rebel T2i with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens for $800, and I believe a few retailers have a deal where you can get the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens thrown in for $25-50 more. I'll leave it to the experts to tell me whether there'd be any benefit for someone still learning and exploring.

The Rebel T2i is the frontrunner, but I've also been looking at the cheaper T1i and the Rebel XS, and maybe putting more money into a few good lenses than into the camera itself (but I assume down the road I might regret it more not getting the T2i). The Nikon D3000 and D5000 also seemed to get pretty good reviews.

Advice would be appreciated!
ChristopherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:25 PM   #2

Pass up the nikon D3000, and instead look at the D3100, a much better camera. I have had the T1i and the D5000. I liked the Nikon D-5000 a lot.

Now, I no longer want to lug along a DSLR kit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3

You really can't go wrong with any current model DSLR for what you want to do. Just realize that for macro work you'll need a second lens eventually. What type of lens depends on the type of macro you want to do. But I would suggest going to a store and trying the various cameras out - the ergonimics of one may very well appeal to you over another - and everyone is different in that regard.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote