Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:38 PM   #1
Default Nikon Coolpix P100 versus Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 or FZ40

My needs are primarily as follows:

1) Shooting while traveling, including sightseeing and sporting events. Next trip is Australia/Honolulu. Quality of these pictures is of great import -- though by quality I mean at the picture sizes and for uses described below.

2) Decent/tolerable low light performance. I understand there are limitations, but here I'm talking, e.g., about school functions, indoor sports events, museums and the like.

3) Typical boring family holiday stuff.

Pix are used on PC, commercially-available living room picture frames, and prints no bigger than 8x10. Video is nice but not a primary function for me.

Don't know: How valuable is the extra zoom beyond that on the FZ35, particularly as I have seen some say it costs quality on all pictures to have a bigger max zoom.

I tend to not hold cameras perfectly steady when shooting.

As I have done nothing but point-and-shoot digitals (similar to my wife's Sony DSC-S930, though not as good), and haven't used an SLR in at least 15 years, I am out of touch and need guidance.

Also saw some claim quality issues re P100 and wonder if such is a concern.

Last edited by deejub; Dec 20, 2010 at 7:44 PM.
deejub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:15 AM   #2

I think the FZ35/FZ40 are well ahead of the P100 in terms of IQ and just overall refinement. None of these cameras will provide decent low light performance if you are looking to take pics without a flash.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:37 AM   #3

I'd second that - I'm getting what I think are pretty nice pictures with the FZ35/38 in good light but indoor it's much weaker. Museums will be OK as the subjects generally aren't moving so you can compensate by using a longer exposure but I really struggle without a flash for things like school plays and indoor sports would be impossible without a lot of blurring.
AutoHDR - Free HDR software for Windows at http://www.autohdr.co.uk on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...36045126467361
My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinsykes
Panasonic DMC-FZ38, Sony ­α580
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:35 AM   #4

Here is a third suggestion that either the FZ35 or FZ40 will easily surpass the P100. I purchased a P100 and returned it before I turned to Panasonic. That was a lot of hassle to learn the simple fact that the FZ series cameras were clearly, faster and better, with noticeably better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:15 PM   #5

Bumping this up as OP's questions reflect many of mine. I am mostly looking at FZ35 vs FZ40 vs FZ100 (but, to a less extent due to higher cost). I'd say I am leaning FZ35/FZ40. My main concern is whether or not the extra zoom is worth the added cost. Any help is appreciated.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote