Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:30 PM   #1
Default Urgent!! Omg boxing day sales. What shall i buy??

okay...this is like my third thread i think. last time i decided on a canon powershot sd1200is but it wasnt sold anymore at bestbuy/futureshop but okay whatever. new dilemma!

Best buy and future shop are gonna have some good sales...Which do you think is the best all around camera? mind you that im pretty much a newb but I'd like to be able to get some good quality photos that are blog/family/scenery portraits-worthy. Obviously the more exp you go, usually the better. What would be your top3 or 5 and consider if they are a lot of bang for your buck =D

Canon SD1400 IS

olympus SP-600UZ

olympus FE4030

Olympus T-10

Olympus tough 3005

panasonic DMCF3K

Casio FC100

Canon A300IS

Olympus Mju5010

Im in like such a rush and I did research on other cameras but none of them are on sale...Please contribute, thank you!! I want to finally get a new camera (been without one for 6 months)
aphrodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2

I'm in a bit of a rush myself so I'm only responding to the list you gave us:

For tiny, pocketable cameras, pretty much only the Canon SD1400 IS or the Panasonic DMC-F3K. Because their image quality is superior to all of the other tiny point-and-shoots on this list. The Canon A300 IS is fine as well. But, given a choice, I'd go for the SD1400 IS over the A300 IS.

The Olympus SP600UZ is interesting. But this is a much larger camera than the first two - a different class, really. But if you want a superzoom and can get it at a really good price, I imagine you could have some real fun with it. But I don't understand why Olympus left an electronic viewfinder off of a camera that can zoom out to 420mm. Perhaps if the in-body image stabilization works very well, it'll work out.

I don't know much about the Olympus Tough 3005 but the company's Tough line of cameras - while certainly rugged - doesn't seem to offer image quality as high as the competition in that class. If you could get it, say, for under $100, it might still be fun and useful to have for hiking and camping trips, skiiing, canoeing/kyaking. I'm sure images will be fine for prints 8x10 or smaller, YouTube, Facebook, etc.

A suggestion: If the sale is that great and the prices that low... why not buy two of the cameras on your list? How about the Olympus SP-600 UZ AND either the Canon SD1400 IS or Panasonic DMC-F3K? That way, you be covered for vacations and the like and still have something small and pocketable to carry with you on a daily basis.

Hope this helps... Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote