Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:42 AM   #1
Default Video/price not important; KX,T1i or T2i?

I am a beginner . Years ago, I used a film Canon AE1 and more recently a point and shoot. I don't care that much about video capabilities. Also, I can spend the extra $300 if the Canon is better. I dont think too many of the subjects will be fast moving. I have read the metering on the Canon is better and thought this may help me being a beginner. Also read the Pentax clips highlights. I plan on buying the two lense kit. I guess I am asking which is better putting the price difference and the video aside. Thank you so much for comments.
RayJayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:55 AM   #2

I dont' know much about the Kx, except I heard it is a fine camera. I use Canon, and the T2i is a very nice camera, and setup with the 18-55, and 55-250 kits lens you canget with the package, you would be set for years to come. I would not bother with the T1i, the T2i is a better choice for not much more $$
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:06 AM   #3

You're not shooting action so the benefit of the Canon system is not an issue. You don't care about video so the benefit of the t2i over t1i is not an issue. There are going to be minor pluses/minus' of the KX vs. T1i but they're minor. Handle both cameras and let ergonomics be the deciding factor. Truth is a lot of entry and mid level cameras from all manufacturers are on par. There are some generalities about the various systems:

Pentax has built-in anti-shake. canon is in the lens - but the kit lens comes with IS and if you're second lens is the 55-250 (and not the 75-300 which is a poor lens) then you've got IS in it too. The in-body anti-shake becomes a bonus then for more specialized shooting.
Pentax also has some great small prime lenses
If you don't mind manual focus and potentially manual aperture then you can get some old but decent lenses on the used market for pentax.
At the higher end (not K-X), the pentax cameras are weather sealed and so are several consumer lenses (in canon you have to buy professional grade lenses to get weather sealing).

Canon has a larger selection of modern auto-focus lenses. Pentax has a lot - especially for the average consumer/hobbyist - the biggest advantage in Canon is at the telephoto end of the spectrum.
Canon has a better focus system (both in body and lens motor) for action shooting but if you're not doing that, don't worry about it.
Canon has full-frame offering if that's important for your future. But if you don't care about full frame benefits - especially given the additional cost associated, don't let this be a factor.
Canon has a better implementation of TTL flash

I think those are the basic system differences. If none of those sound critical to you then decide based on ergonomics.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4

Thank you for the great response. Is the metering as good in the Pentax? I have read the Pentax clips highlights and the T2i supposedly has better metering (same as 7D?). Does this sound valid?
RayJayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:07 AM   #5

Just got my K-X and loving it (except for video, but it is very dark in my house). That being said, if money is really not important, I would probably go with T2i (although it's big advantage over the K-X is the video quality). But for pure camera the K-R (up one model from the K-X with the 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm (not the 200mm that I had to settle for) would trump the T2i in my mind for about the same price or a little lower.
jagardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:28 PM   #6

I too would go with Jagardener and with the k-r
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:57 PM   #7

If price is not a concern with the 3 camera mention, and the k-r also. I would go with the t2i. It just offers more in the long run with lenses, and gives you good HD for those time you want a video clip.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote