Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:16 PM   #1
Default what is the difference between these 2 Canon's?

I am a very inexperienced dslr user, but have used a few friends, and am looking at purchasing one, I am leaning towards the Canon models, and looking at the Rebel T2i and the 60D both have 18 mp, Can anyone help me with a little advice between these 2 cameras? I have a very young family and am looking at taking pics of the kids, i'm not interested in video from a dslr, just pics, and find it very hard to get a good pic without a Dslr.
bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:04 PM   #2

• The 60D uses a pentaprism, a solid piece of glass, to display the image in the optical viewfinder, while the T2i uses a pentamirror. Pentaprisms are heavier and more expensive, but they are brighter.
  • The 60D is capable of shutter speeds of up to 1/8000 second, while the T2i maxes out at 1/4000.
  • The 60D can capture images at the rate of up to 5.3 per second, while the T2i can only manage 3.7.
  • The 60D uses a bigger, more powerful battery, so it can take about twice as many photos on a fully charged battery than the T2i.
  • The 60D is about 27% bigger and 42% heavier than the T2i.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:29 PM   #3

I would get the t2i to start an put the savings of the 60D to a USM lens instead. The kit lenses are not the fastest focusing lenses. And a good USM lens like the 15-85 or 28-135 will be money better spent on keeping up with fast moving kids. An if you need to shoot indoors and need a fast lens, the savings on the body can help on getting a fast prime lens or a fast zoom lens.

I shoot a t1i and a 60D now. And the rebel is a much lighter system when running around with kids also and easier to pack.

Now if you kids play organized sports, the 60D higher burst rate would come in handy.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:14 AM   #4

Hi at this time there are some great deals on T2i/550d with 2 kit lens 18-55 and the 55-250 this isnt a bad starting point and would cover all your needs for quiet a bit of time. You would then hav some experience and would know what lenses you would need. I have young grand children who are always on the move and I find these 2 lenses are perfectly ok and i get geat pictues of them. I also added the 50 1.8 grat lens super price.
While thinking what else you will need think of getting an external flash.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote