Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:04 PM   #1
Default Best picture for less than $400?

Hi, all. I'm looking for a camera which takes pics that are not all distorted with noise when viewing at full size. I bought the Kodak Zi8 in November and have to say that when you're viewing the pics at full size, they look horrible. I wish I'd seen Steve's review before I bought it - you can see a good example of how noisy the Kodak Zi8 is on the cannon and flagpole shot on the sample photos page.

I got my wife a Canon SD1400 IS and I am very impressed with the pic quality but am wondering if there is an even better camera around the same price ($200) or less than $400, which isn't quite so tiny.

What I'm looking for -
- great pic quality with little noise at full size
- takes great indoor shots with low light
- takes decent to good video, though not the prime need for this cam
- uses SD cards
- prefer to use AA batteries, but if the camera is awesome, I'll accept another.

If you can show examples of a full-size photo or point to a review here that has full-size ones available, even more awesome.

Thank you for your time and wisdom.
idrawcomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:09 PM   #2

For a small camera you might look at the Canon SD4000. For a compact camera, take a look at the Canon G-12, the price just dropped to $399.00. If you want more zoom take a look and perhaps save a bit of $$ with the Panasonic FZ40.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:37 PM   #3

Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5. Both are only slightly below $400 at full price but easily had for less as they go on sale often.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:47 PM   #4

if picture quality is the main thing in that price range, I am with FiveO. The larger 1/1.63 sensors of the lx5 or S95 is the way to go. The smaller 1/2.23 just does not match up with the larger sensor.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:11 PM   #5

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Some good cameras in this mix. I'll do some more research and check out full-size pics of each and update you once I make a decision.

thank you again for your time, you all are awesome!
idrawcomics is offline   Reply With Quote