Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Default Which micro FourThirds?

I am upgrading from a Canon A650is to 'something' digital, and have decided I'm not quite ready for a full-fledged DSLR, but want the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. I've narrowed down my search to the Panny Lumix G2 and the Olympus PL2. I know they've both just come out, but I'd rather not make a choice until I've at least gotten some yea/nays from somebody that knows WAY more than I do. (And that wouldn't be very hard...(o; ). Does anyone either have one of these or know if there is a site that would have decent sample pix that would show the MACRO CAPABILITIES of the kit lens? I have seen some close-ups, but of course, that's not quite the same. I also realize that I'll probably need a macro-dedicated lens, but can't quite squeeze the turnip enuff to pay for both the camera and lens at this time. So am thinking either converter lenses or extension tubes. Does anyone know if I can find either of those in the micro FourThirds sizes, or perhaps what adapter size I would need? Thnx.....
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:08 PM   #2

You may trying posting your question on the micro Olympus FourThirds forum as there are a number of regulars who shoot macro images using the E-PL1.

In the meantime, you can read this review of the Panasonic G2 here:

Here is a link to a post that was originated by Shoturtle, who has done some extensive work in macro using an Olympus E-PL1 and the 35mm macro lens designed for the FourThirds system.:

EPL-1 Macro test with oly 35mm 3.5

As far as recommendations as to which is better, that would be the question to pose the Forum members. But, the E-PL2 hasn't been officially released yet, so there isn't a lot of feedback as yet, but the press releases are every positive on the E-PL2.

A few things to consider:

If you're going to do macro work, a viewfinder would be important. The G2 has one built -in. The E-PL2 does not but an add-on is available for around 250.00USD.

Based on what I've been reading, it appears that the E-PL2 uses the same sensor and Jpeg engine as the E-PL1- which means that it will produce very sharp and wonderfully detailed images without a lot of user intervention.

The E-PL2 is going to be available with the newer version 14-42mm kit lens which is reported to be faster to auto focus ( a very good thing) than the first version.

Both the Panasonic and the E-PL2 will accept fourthirds lenses with the use of an adapter. They will be fully functional.

I've had the E-PL1 for a few months now and love it. however, I shoot landscapes, seascapes, and cityscapes. With the Electronic viewfinder, the E-PL1 is a joy to use.
I don't do much in the way of macro, however, so I can't really can't make a valid comparison between the 2 .

Having said that, i think it will come down to a matter of which feels more comfortable in your hand, what your preference will be for the user interface, and how comfortable/ easy it is to find the buttons, controls-etc.

Good luck in your quest.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:03 AM   #3
Super Moderator

If video is important - the Panny GH2. For everything else the EP-L2.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Default G2

Thnx to you all for replying to query. As it happens, I have chosen the G2 ... for now. Went to reputable camera store yesterday and was very impressed w/the camera. Have 10 days if I want to return it, so will play with it here at home for a few days to see if it's for me. If I'm not quite satisfied, I'll go the store and do touchy-feely w/the PL-2. It'll be available (supposedly) by next week. I know that may sound a bit excessive, but since I can't rent either one of them, that seemed the best to do. I can't really know which one I'm going to 'marry,' until I can take it out on a few dates. (o:

I am concerned w/the IQ, but am hoping to see for myself. In playing w/the Panny, I found the viewfinder to work well for me. Tried it w/a 20mm lens, and the macro capability looked pretty good.

Video is not important to me... I'm pretty much a stills kinda gal. (o: But who knows? Maybe I'll be a convert.

Will let you know which one I ultimately choose, and upload some pix.
Macro is Da BOMB

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:13 PM   #5

Shoot in a low light environment with your new camera, and see if you like the photos without the flash. That is one of the major weakness of the G2, G1, G10, GF1, GF2 and GH1. Once you pass 800iso, image quality really drops off.

But if you do not need low light, form 100-400iso it is very good.

Congrats, hopes it works out for you.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote