Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:55 PM   #1
Default New DSLR buying advice !!

Hi, i am a video maker myself but needed opinion on buying a new dslr cam for a small company which they asked me to buy one for them. They need it for still photography only and mostly will be of meetings and conferences indoor with average lighting. I am gona post few cam models in the end and their prices that are available here in my country. I need you guys to give me your opinion on which cam to choose.

The biggest point here is that i need a cam that can work better in auto settings as the personals who will be using it wont bother around in its settings for each shot. So basically a cam with ease of use and gud in indoor lighting. I aint looking for xtra fine quality images, just gud amount of quality will do as its not for pro photography.

Olympus E-620 with 14-42mm lens (570$)
Sony DSLR-A290L (570$)
Olympus E-420 (580$)
Nikon D3000 (605$)
Sony DSLR-A230Y (650$)
Sony NEX-3D (690$)
Sony DSLR-A330Y (720$)
Nikon D3100 18-55mm Lens (750$)
Canon EOS 500D 18-55mm Lens (750$)
Sony DSLR-NEX5D (770$)

All above cams are within budget and are the only ones available here in that budget range. E-620 has got some gud reviews but is 500D etc worth all that xtra money for the use mentioned above?
mianmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:36 PM   #2

For what you say they want to do, I wouldn't pick any of them. For "meetings and conferences indoor with average lighting", flash probably won't work very well, so they'll probably need a large aperture lens, good performance at high ISO settings, and image stabilization. The only body you mentioned that can work well at high ISOs is the Canon 500D, but it's not stabilized and the kit lens isn't fast enough, so you'd need Canon's 17-55/2.8 IS, which sells for ~$1,100. If you don't mind compromising on price and getting lower image quality, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC or the Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS would be ok.

A better choice might be either the Pentax K-x or Sony A450 or A500, which are all stabilized and do well at hogh ISO settings, with the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (non-VC) or Sigma 18-50/2.8 (non-OS) large aperture standard zooms.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote