Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Default OK which one to buy

Looking for a camera that does
-good low light pictures
-very little shutter lag
-good video performance
-continuous shot mode
-zoom in video
-no light streaks in video mode

narrowed it down to these options and I have listed what I have read are problems with each
1) Nikon S8100
- zoom and focus noise in video mode
- problems with auto focus in both still and video mode
- flash in bad location where finger wants to hold camera
- not good for motion video

Comments: I think I can live with the zoom and focus noise in video. The flash in the wrong spot issue - not sure there is much you can do to avoid it. The focus problem and motion video issue - I did not see too much of that on the videos posted on youtube for this camera so maybe it is not really that much of an issue???

2) Canon SX210
Cons -
-Streaking in video mode
-Flash in bad location and pops up on every power up
-wind noise filter goes in/out in video mode
-lens shadow with some flash pictures
Comments - Flash location is what it is. Streaks in video seem like a real spoiler to me. Wind noise is more irritating that zoom motor noise to me. Lens shadow seems like a minor problem for me.

3) Sony DSC HX5V
-Lots of wind noise in audio
-poor audio recording
-display resolution small (230k pixels)
-low light video did not look good
Comments - wind noise was really bad on this camera and I am sure the bad audio capabilities are related to that as well.

So it seems to me that there are tradeoffs for each one. If you have a different camera to suggest please do. If you think some of these 'cons' are wrong or minor, please tell me that. If you think these are the best I can do, please tell me your choice.

I also looked at Panasonic ZS7, 5 and from what I read those have poor low light performance and streaking in video mode so I ruled them out of the final group.

plr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:15 PM   #2

Any CCD-based camera is subject the streaking issue. Low light videos with all of above cameras will be poor. The reason you don't see much noise in the low light Nikon S8100 videos is due to heavy noise reduction. Of course you lose all detail. You can always apply more NR in post-processing but you can never replace lost detail. If you want something for low light, check out one of the larger sensor P&S cams such as the S95, LX5, XZ-1, TL500/EX1 etc
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote