Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:32 PM   #1

Default Olympus EPL1 and lenses

I have been looking at the Canon S95 and G12 vs. the Panasonic LX5. Yesterday, I went to the camera shop and the woman was strongly suggesting that I consider the EPL1. I am pretty clueless about the micro four thirds cameras. Is is enough to only use the supplied lens? Or do you really need to buy extra lenses? How much are those lenses? I'm guessing they're not cheap. The EPL1 can be purchased on Amazon for about $430 now, so it's in the same range as the other cameras I've been looking at. However, I cannot afford to buy the camera plus several hundred dollars worth of lenses. How much zoom is in the supplied lens?

I will be shooting outdoors and indoors...mostly pictures of the kids, husband and dog. Throw in the occasional school play, dance recital, basketball game. Not expecting professional results from those events, but I'd like to be able to get better results than from my current point and shoot.

To me, the S95 seems like a very safe choice for me, but I am very intrigued by the EPL1, which is why I'm asking these questions. I can't get a good feel for how this camera would perform relative to my needs. I shoot people, not scenery, so I want something where the coloring of the people looks natural, and can also handle a little bit of movement, as my kids are often in motion.

I'm really not interested in something with a small sensor...been there, done that. But if there are others I should be looking at, I'd love to hear about them.
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:40 PM   #2

Yes you can use the kit lens for most shooting. But it will give you the option if you want down the line to add a longer zoom lens, or speciality lenses for macro photography or prime lenses for better low light shooting.

What you gain with the larger system, is much higher image quality, better low light performance.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:51 PM   #3

Thanks, shoturtle. So, in your opinion, is the epl1, with the supplied lens, better than the S95 (or LX5 or G12)?

I would want to get a zoom lens at some point. About how much should I expect to pay for one?
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:03 PM   #4

260-280 dollars for the panasonic 45-200, as m4/3 lenses are all interchangeable between brands. Panasonic and olympus will work with the epl-1. And down the line there will be sigma, schnieder, ziess and others.

Here are some recent handheld low light shots at high iso with the panasonic pancake lens and the panasonic long zoom. The first was taken at 800iso, the long zoom shot was at 1250iso. And the yellow was the actually lighting conditions.
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:25 PM   #5

All three cameras you are considering have lenses with about the same reach (give or take) than the EPL1 kit lens. Two advantages of the EPL1 over the other cameras are better low light performance due to a larger sensor and interchangeable lens capability, which allows you to add a zoom later on in case you feel the need for more reach.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote