Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:19 PM   #21

Yes, I do have a pretty strict budget for what I can spend today. But, I'm planning to add lenses over the years. JohnG...your sports photos are wonderful. I'm pretty sure that right now, it would be very difficult for me to come close to capturing anything quite that nice. As I get some practice and take a class or two I'm sure my skills will improve quite a bit. What kind of lenses would I need to for my camera to have the ability to get shots like yours? Are we talking about thousands of dollars? Or could we keep it in the hundreds? Do the lenses need to be AF, or would MF work just as well?

In a year or two, I will be returning to the working world...at that time, buying expensive lenses won't be as big of a budget killer as today. So I'd like to have a short list of lenses that I would plan to acquire someday.
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:34 PM   #22

Originally Posted by acscoggins View Post
What kind of lenses would I need to for my camera to have the ability to get shots like yours? Are we talking about thousands of dollars? Or could we keep it in the hundreds? Do the lenses need to be AF, or would MF work just as well?
While I disagree with Frank as to the desirability of taking sports photos, I agree in part - sports shooting can be expensive - potentially very expensive. First I will say that MF is POSSIBLE but extremely difficult - more difficult with DSLRs because the viewfinders weren't designed for manual focus. I wouldn't count on MF if I were you. What lenses you need depend entirely on what sports you're shooting. Even then there are differences in quality. Let's say you want to shoot U6 soccer on a smaller field. A 200mm capable lens is plenty of focal length if you're right off the field. But, other attributes are: how fast does the particular lens focus? This will go towards your keeper percentage - a slower focusing lens produces less in-focus images. Then there's the matter of aperture. An f5.6 lens will have more of the background in focus (my outdoor shots are f2.8) and if it gets darker won't get you fast enough shutter speeds. But lenses that focus faster and have wider apertures cost more money. In daylight you can get shots from the consumer kit lenses - you just will have more distracting backgrounds because they won't be blurred as nicely. In low light you can't. Additionally there is the focus system of the camera. The pentax k-x is an improvement over previous generations and is fine if all you will ever use is consumer grade lenses in good light. But canon and nikon have better focus systems and better potential sporting lenses - but those cost money. For example the canon 70-200 f4 (non-IS) is $560. That lens with a canon body T1I or higher will outperform a pentax camera with any lens for shooting sports. But if you were only ever going to use the $200 Canon 55-250 lens then you probably wouldn't realize a noticeable benefit over the Pentax outfit. So, that canon 70-200 f4 is OK for daytime, small field. But if you get up to full field baseball/soccer you need 300-400mm lenses. If you end up wanting to shoot at night then you need f2.8 and it starts getting into the thousands of dollars. What gear you will need will depend entirely on the sports you shoot. There is no single lens that does everything.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:11 PM   #23

In the flash department. If you get say a metz 50 AF-1 for the pentax p-ttl or canon e-ttl. It will work without any issues. Also with the pentax with the metz, you have the ability to go wireless ocf right away. As the pentax incorporated the wireless flash feature using the built in flash as a master. The canon the t3i/600D is the rebel that has that feature.

But the wireless flash is limiting in a way with pentax as all you can do if set channel and not groups. So you can only ev all the flash on the same channel the same amount. While the t3i/600d you should be able to ev each of the 3 groups separately and can ratio between them also.

So with the pentax, to get really creative with off camera flash as master external flash and external slave flash would be a more ideal solution, over the limiting way the k-x has it set up. So if you think you will get into more creative flash work. The T1i and k-x will require the same type of setup.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote