Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:37 AM   #1
Default compact camera for remote control via PC

I am looking for a compact camera which can be controled via a pc/USB. I found that some older canon models had this option and there are also some software solutions around to access some older canon models, but I did not find any of the current models which have this option.
I would need this setup for university students documenting their specimen with a fixed macro-table - setup. So far we used to exchange the cards after all the students took the pictures (chaotic) therefore direct control of the camera via the pc would be perfect.
Please help if you have any suggestion or you know a camera model (< $400, 300) which can do that - even buing software would be possible.

thanks in advance,

Mathias26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:53 AM   #2

Canon no longer includes the remote control features with newer Point and Shoot models. You can see a list of supported cameras on this software vendor's page:

I haven't kept up with other brands to know which ones might support software control. So, perhaps others will chime in with suggestions if any other models allow that setup.

It sounds like you're mostly looking for a way to eliminate the card swapping in order to get all of the images in the same place. So, you may also want to consider something like a wireless SDHC card solution (so that the images are copied to a server in the background while using the cameras).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3

thanks Jim, the PSRemote also cought my attention but the problem is to get 8 of the supproted old cameras, the used camera market only sells one or two at a time, therefore I am looking for a current model. The eye.fi cards sounds quite interesting, but this in not quite the thing I am looking for.
best, mathias
Mathias26 is offline   Reply With Quote