Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:52 AM   #1
Default Best Camera for Surgery?

Hi all, I'm in need of converting an old film camera to digital and need some advice. In our surgery department we use a camera for taking intraoperative pictures. We photograph internal and external anatomy for clinical and liability purposes. I need something that will take a decent picture of blood and guts. Sometimes its a body cavity with low light.

Our current setup is a 35mm Canon SLR (XS I think....) with a ringlight flash mounted around the lense. I'm thinking that replicating that setup may be a bit overkill and we also need the camera to be easy to use as anyone in the OR may need to use it.

So, whats the best combination of ease of use and quality photography in low-light situations?

Someone at work suggested the Samsung TL500. Thoughts?

$600 would be a max price.

One last caveat, the product needs to be available on cdw.com as we have an exclusive purchasing arrangement with them.
surgerydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2

I'd stick with Canon so I could keep using the ring flash (and maybe the lens too.) For what you're talking about, I think that's a valueable resource.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:57 PM   #3

I have a doctor friend whose speciality is Plastic Surgery and he is very plead with the Canon SD4000 whose F2.0 lens makes no flash photos under surgery lighting quite easy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:49 PM   #4

G'day SD

As said above - stick with Canon to use existing lenses & accessories
I'm sure you can get some sort of camera in your price range

ps- very unwise to have an exclusive supplier contract - you lose all choice and therefore price comparisons

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:34 PM   #5

Oh a doctor huh ucky stuff in there for sure... I wish I could tell you I had surgery and they took shots of my tubes etc.. go t to have some too! But hey I am going back into have them looked at again I will find out what they are using ok...! It will be a couple weeks though.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:25 PM   #6

couple thoughts: exclusive supplier contract gives us access to discounting that otherwise would not be available. Every couple years, others compete for that contract. Thats good business, not unwise.

Back to the camera though, I have two reasons for not wanting to replicate the existing setup. 1. I've seen staff confused by the operation of an SLR. I'm thinking that something with simpler operation might better suit our purpose. 2. The ringflash is not compatable with new canon cameras according to our local camera shop (which went out of business before I got around to a purchase). The quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 for the flash alone.

surgerydude is offline   Reply With Quote