Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Default A Lot Of Lens

I Have an Old Yashica FX-3 super 2000

And I Have A Lot of lens collection for it.
plan to buy a Digital SLR, but which one should i buy?
which DSLR that have same Lens mounting/slot with Yashica FX-3 super 2000?

Thank You for anyone who share the info.

Be11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:31 PM   #2

Your film camera has the Contax/Yashica mount. There is no dSLR that uses that mount directly. However, with an adapter you can use all of your lenses on either a Canon EOS or on a 4:3 (regular or micro) or a Sony NEX body.
hope that helps ....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:40 AM   #3

Before you buy a camera based on your current inventory of lenses, you may want to investigate the value of your lenses as well as their ability to provide you with sharp, high quality images.

You can try looking at B&HPhoto.com, KEH.com, and Ardorama.com and see if they have any used lenses that are the same as the lenses that you have.

You can also google a particular lens that you have and see if you can find user reviews done by people using that lens in combination with a digital slr.

At least, that will tell you if it is worth pursuing this avenue. Reason being, that none of your lenses will be able to communicate with any of the dslr's currently being made. They will have to be manually focused, which sort of defeats the purpose of getting a dslr in the first place.

If your style of photography involves only static subjects, i.e. landscapes, portraits, subjects sitting still then this may not be an issue to you.

But, if it were me, I would look at buying a camera that fits my overall needs best. If any of the current lenses can be used by way of an adapter, then that would be a bonus- not my primary consideration.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4

The lenses you have for your Old Yashica probably fall in to several categories. Either Yashica lenses, Contax lenses or third party lenses from Tokina, Sigma, etc. The Contax lenses are labeled Contax Carl Zeiss and are very sought after. The wide angle CZ lenses can run well over $1K each and upwards of $2K.

The Yashica lenses are not quite as sought after, however they have a reputation of being very sharp - good glass.
The lenses mounted on a digital body, in any case will only be manual focus and exposure, however good glass is still good glass.

All of that said, if you want automatic aperture and automatic focusing capabilities, they this old glass however good will not have these functionalities.

Last edited by interested_observer; Mar 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote