Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:31 PM   #1
Default Inherited a load of nikon lenses...

I just "inherited" my mothers camera gear(she's 67 and can't handle the weight of a DSLR anymore).

It's an old F801 with the following lenses:

AF Nikkor 85/1.8
AF Nikkor 35-70/2.8D
AF Nikkor 180/2.8D
AF Nikkor 28/2.8
Af Nikkor 28-80/3.3-5.6G from an old F65

And I'm wondering what DSLR I should get? Max 1000. I don't know how good the lenses really are, they where ok/good when the F4 was the coolest kid on the block, but compared to todays lenses I have no idea.

I own a Casio EX-F1 a really "different" kind of beast and it works fine as long as there is enough light, go to ISO 800 and it's unusable. It does a few things that no other camera can but suffers really bad when there is less light, the performance indoor is horrible. Now I had the luck that I got those lenses but no body. Any advice?

m00ndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:36 PM   #2

Congrats, as those first 4 lenses should do quite nicely in a variety of lighting conditions.

As for a body for under 1000, tough call.

Note that the entry level bodies like the D3000, D3100 and D5000 are not going to allow Autofocus with any of those lenses (they require AF-S lenses with motors built in).

You'd need to go with a higher end body that has a focus motor built in (since those lenses do not, and require a camera body that has a focus motor for Autofocus).

The D90 would probably be your lowest cost option, followed by the D7000.

But, one thing to take into consideration is that any lens you use on a dSLR model with an APS-C size sensor is going to appear "longer" than it would on a 35mm camera (because the sensor is smaller on the dSLR, angle of view will be narrower, with more apparent magnification for a given focal length lens).

To tell how angle of view compares, just multiply the focal length by 1.5x. For example, a 100mm lens on one of the Nikon dSLR models I mentioned would give you the same angle of view as a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera (100mm x 1.5 = 150mm).

So, if you used the 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 zoom on a Nikon dSLR with an APS-C sensor, you'd have the same angle of view you'd have using a 42-120mm lens on a 35mm camera.

That may not be wide enough in some conditions (since often, you can only back up so far to get what you want to into the frame), which is one reason most cameras like we're discussing have "kit" lenses available that start out at around 18mm (giving you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 27mm lens on a 35mm camera).

So, even though a D7000 body only would fit into your budget, I'd be inclined to get a wider lens with one, too (which could put you a tad over budget).

D7000 body only:

D7000 with 18-105mm lens:

The D90 including a lens would fit into your budget with plenty of room to spare. But, I'd probably be inclined to go with the D7000 if budget permits, as it's a much newer model that offers some benefits (for example, higher resolution, lower noise levels, better Dynamic Range).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:15 PM   #3

Congratulations, I'm envious. Since they're AF lenses.. you need a prosumer model.

The D7000 is a great choice but if you want to be nice and show your appreciation to your mom by getting her a new lighter camera as well within your budget, I would suggest getting a Nikon D90 for yourself (all the lenses will work with it) and a Canon S95 for your mother.

All the best.
I shoot through a Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens on a Nikon D90 and an SB-600.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:22 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I would be tempted to ditch the 35-70 and 28-80.

Trade them in on a new body and standard zoom. Something like a D7000 + 18-105.

Unless you go up to the D700 which is EUR2000 then you won't have any wide angle at all with those lenses because of the crop factor.

The 3 remaining lenses will serve you very well.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:04 AM   #5

Thank you all for the input.
m00ndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:33 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i would agree with peripatetic, you will need something wider on the crop cameras. so investing some of that money back into a d7000/d90 with the 18-105 would be a very useful option.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote