Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:15 PM   #11

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am budget limited. In fact, I will be looking at "Like New" Canons for sale that are open box items. I also don't want to spend more as a camera out in the field, especially on a construction site or in a small attic, may take more punishment than the usual. I am sure many photographers may laugh at my statement as their/your cameras also go through quite a bit, but I don't want to take a chance with an [for me] expensive camera.
Again: thank you (and the others) for the care you show in sharing your knowledge.
solomonno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:45 PM   #12

Originally Posted by solomonno2 View Post
4. By low light, I mean outdoors, not a bright day, or at dusk or close to dusk.
Outdoors is actually more of an issue because you can't realistically use a flash outdoors. You will end up with a very dark, underexposed background in most cases.

Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The built-in flash unit on the ZS7 has only 40 to 50% of the power of the built-in flash unit on the SX130. That means that whole room shots, or anything over 8 feet are out for the ZS7. The SX130 will provide good flash coverage out to 12 to 13 feet.
Again, as someone who owns the ZS7, I can assure you that the flash reaches at least 10 feet. It is actually rated for much more. I agree that it's weak but 8 ft is inaccurate.

Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Yes, the ZS5 is exactly the same as the ZS7, but the ZS5 has a different video configuration and no GPS.
Well, there's a little more to it than that.

- ZS7 has a 3" LCD with 460k resolution and an anti-glare coating; ZS5 has a 2.7" LCD with 230k resolution and no anti-glare coating
- ZS7 has stereo audio, ZS5 has mono
- ZS7 has a dedicated movie button
- ZS7 has an HDMI output; ZS5 does not
- ZS7 has 2 MyScene modes; ZS5 has 1

... and several other trivial differences.

Something else to keep in mind ... Amazon is currently selling the ZS5 for $179. They had the ZS7 for $199 2 weeks ago and Costo had it for $199 last month. It shouldn't be too hard getting it for that price again within the next couple weeks.

Originally Posted by solomonno2 View Post
a- What do you mean by "warmer" colors. Can I assume these look better in the photo but may not be as accurate as I need them to be?
Canon's images tend to be warmer and Panasonic's tend to be cooler. So Canon images tend to be more reddish and Panasonic's tend to be more bluish/greenish. Here's a color wheel that shows what I mean by cool and warm.

Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.

Last edited by FiveO; Mar 23, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote