Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Default what isa a verygood entry dslr camera?

I have been taking very good photos with a nikon p1OO. I'm looking to up grade. I take lots of macro photos and landscape. willing to spend about up to 700. what would be a good camera and lenses?
awwyeahson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2

It's going to be hard to score a dSLR camera AND multiple lenses for macro and landscape shooting for under 7 bills.

You could just get a camera and use the kit lens for a while while you save up for better macro and landscape lenses.

I would go to a camera or electronics store and take a look at the Canon T1i and the Nikon D3100. Actually you could do that at Wal-Mart! Then buy them from Amazon or one of the other cheaper reputable dealers where you don't have to pay tax. The kit lenses on those cameras can do a respectable job on landscapes. Macro is another story though..you will be better off sticking to your p100 macro setting for that until you get a macro lens.

The Pentax k-x is another good entry-level model to look at. I would handle and read reviews on those three and see what seems to click with you.

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Super Moderator

yea, for strictly under 700$, those are good choices, the Canon T1i, Nikon 3100, and the Pentax K-X.

If you do look at the Pentax models, I would actually spend a little more (but still under your 700$) and get the KR, it offers some nice upgrades over the KX like illuminated AF points, better LCD, AF assist, that i think would be worth it.

You may also have a look at the Canon T2i, it pushes your budget just a bit, but offers much better video (same as the 7d) than anything previously mentioned. and also has the same 18mp sensor as the higher end 7d and 60d as well as some feature improvements over the t1i. this camera really blurred the line between entry-level and enthusiast and gives the same image quality as the semi-pro cams.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:58 PM   #4

There aren't any bad ones.

But getting a body PLUS a macro lens PLUS a wide angle zoom for ~$700 ain't gonna happen.

I will say, however, that the used market for the lenses you want is a little bit better for Sony/Minolta lenses than anybody else, and because Sony has the image stabilization in the body, any lens, including 20+ year old Minolta AF lenses will be stabilized.

Sony has a pretty good selection of bodies in your price range, and used Tamron and Sigma macro lenses are relatively inexpensive for the Sony/Minolta A-Mount.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote