Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Default SD4000 or S8100

I am doing some research for my Sister who is looking to replace a broken P&S with something more low-light capable.

I've read here, and other places about both of these cameras being better at low-light shooting, but was wondering what are the pros and cons of both.

She's using the camera to fill in before she takes a step towards a DSLR, and so wants something affordable, and capable. Much of her shooting is going to be done at a go-kart track where my nephew races, so zoom, speed, and low-light are all factors, as the races are at night.

She wants a pocketable camera because she'll also be using it on family vacations.

Her first instinct was the s8100, but then saw the S9100 and read some reviews on Amazon stating that the 8100 was more camera for the money.

I'm adding the SD4000 to the mix due to recommendations in other threads here.

Her price range is up to about $400 US, but that'd also have to include memory for the camera.
harpua7859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:37 PM   #2

Canon S95 should b your best bet for lowlight/pocket-able for < $400.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:06 PM   #3

There have been numerous negative user reviews on both the Nikon S8100 and S9100. Sp personally I would stay away from those models. The Canon S95 is a very good choice, followed by the canon Sd4000, but both have short zoom ranges.

Sarah joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote