Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Default Fast waterproof P&S to complement SLR for family shots

Please advice on which waterproof P&S I should get to take photos of my (very active) 9 mo baby. I already own an SLR (Canon XSi) and would like to upgrade my old Canon SD1000 to another P&S. This time though, I was thinking of getting something that is waterproof (for swimming) and shockproof. I would also like for it to have the ability to take HD video (1080 would be nice, but 720 is ok).

I've been looking at the Canon D10 and the Panasonic TS-3. The Canon D10 gets pretty good review but unfortunately it doesn't do HD video. Any other cameras I should be looking at? Or should I look into the waterproof HD video camcorder like the Sanyo Xacti?

To sum it up, here are my top criteria:
- waterproof
- fast enough to take photos of an active baby (fast start-up and focus)
- HD video
- good image quality (for a P&S)
- decent low-light (for a P&S)
- zoom and macro doesn't matter as much. The regular 3x (starting at 28mm or 35mm is fine)

Thank you for your recommendation
pixelbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2

the fast enough to take active babies you will not really find in a waterproof point and shoot. Nor will you find a decent low light as all the waterproof digicams have the tiny 1/2.23 sensor. And 400iso are their max.

Now if you can give up those 2 things.

The sony TX 5, olympus tough 8000 series and panasonic ts are all pretty close. The jpeg of the oly is more color pleasing.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote