Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 24, 2011, 4:33 PM   #1
Default Fujifilm HS10 or S9600

I am starting to get into Photography and desperately need some guidance. I have learn't a lot from a friend about aperture and other things such as shutter speeds and am deciding to buy my own camera.

I have decided between 2 options, a HS10 and a Second hand S9600.

From my research the HS10 is a lot newer, has a much larger zoom, more features and more megapixels, unfortunately it is also going to 160 more with the bag and memory card than the S9600.

The S9600 is of my friend who isn't biased as he will sell it to somebody else if I don't buy it, The only benefit I have found on the S9600 is that it has a larger sensor.

My main concerns about getting the S9600 is the lack of zoom and also that it has no image stabilizers. The camera is only going to cost 100 and so I want to know if it is a good deal?

Also how much difference will the smaller sensor make?

At the moment I am borrowing the S9600 and have been really impressed by the quality on close ups of flowers and other detailed objects. Would I lose this quality on the HS10?

I want to be able photograph people surfing, and also close ups of animals, e.g birds without scarring them away. Also I would like to take photos of detailed Cathedrals and buildings whilst on Holiday, but also be able to take landscapes.

Any help would be much appreciated by anybody with experience with these cameras?

I am willing to pay for the HS10 but only if it is worth paying the extra.

sjw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2011, 4:41 PM   #2

I had the S9100 and liked it, but if I could afford the extra money, I would get the HS10. The zoom range is much greater. Some people will argue that the image quality is better with the S9100. Maybe, but it will be hard for you to get close ups on wildlife with just 300mm max zoom.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 5:11 PM   #3

With the HS-10 you'll get a CMOS sensor, a SLR-style zoom ring, and a ton of features the S9600 doesn't have. Image quality is excellent, IMO. The only one better in the Fuji line-up is the H-20. I had the HS-10 and loved it... I like the HS-20 even more.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 24, 2011 at 5:17 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote