Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:15 AM   #11

I won't get into the Nikon/Canon pissing contest, but I do want to mention that my most recent lens acquisition was the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I love it. You can get it for under $500 in either Nikon or Canon mount, it focuses quickly and accurately, is sharp as a tack with good contrast and color rendition. I am very pleased with it both inside and out so far. In a school performance setting, you would want to be in the first ten rows or so of the stage with that length of zoom. But, in that context, it should be perfectly adequate for your needs.

Personally, I keep gravitating back to the standard focal lengths because they have a natural perspective. I have a tele and a UWA that I very seldom use, because I find the front-to-back distortion from the extreme focal lengths disconcerting more often than not. My second most commonly-used lens is my 35mm prime, and my third is a 90mm prime. Outside the 25-100mm range just tends to make me more aware of the artifactual nature of the lens than I care to be. Of course, YMMV.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:58 AM   #12
Default Canon EOS 600D vs Nikon D5100

Both products are really great and take amazing pictures, I personally went with the Canon for the following reasons:

1. Wireless flash controller
2. Better grip, could get a better handle around the 600D than the D5100
3. Better battery life

Obviously there's loads more that Canon has advantages in and Nikon definitely has some advantages when it comes to low light shooting but the advantages I listed above were some of my main reasons for deciding with Canon.

Here's another great comparison on both cameras.
Dustin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:41 AM   #13

Try snapsort.com for sidexside comparisons

Last edited by Fayyaz; Oct 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 3:45 AM   #14

350D is years old!!! lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote