Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:05 PM   #1
Default Moving to Texas and Need a Good Beginner DSLR

I will be moving to Texas in about a month for grad school, and I just began looking into purchasing a DSLR. I currently own a Canon SX130 IS, but would like to upgrade to the 'bigger boys'. Here's what I'll be shooting:

- general photos (indoor shots with the fiance's family, photos of the campus and area for family back home, etc.)
- sports (my fiance's brother plays football, so I'd like something with a faster shutter speed)
- SeaWorld Texas (the fiance and I both hold season passes and attend on the weekends when we're free. Most of the park is outdoors, but a few stadiums have low lighting. Either way, I'll be shooting fast-moving critters.)

I've asked at the local Best Buy and the customer rep recommended that I look into lenses first and then the body. He recommended starting at f/2.8 (and then of course pointed out the $1,000+ lenses). I'd like to keep the price down a bit thanks to student loans and rent, but I don't mind paying around $1,000 for body and lens.

I've been looking at Canon Rebels but am just unsure, so I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion. I'm not worried about the general shooting, it's just the fast-moving situations that have me a bit undecided.

Thanks so much in advance!
silentadmiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:58 PM   #2

First be aware that shooting sports can move you to a higher levels of budget than you were anticipating. To shoot football at night you are in to minimum of a 300 F2,8 lens (think $3K used)( the $1k lens was probably a 70-200 F2.8 gets you 25-30 yds). If you are not on the field it would go up from there and you end up spending the time fiddling with a camera. For indoor plan on an external flash. For general purpose shooting with really good IQ in the canon try the T2i or newer. The kit lens is not bad, but it will need a flash indoors (built in flash will give you red eye and is good for 10-15 ft or so). The T2i will handle sports as good or better than the others in the price bracket. I will other chime in with thier comments.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote