Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:13 PM   #1
Default Versatile compact 7x+ zoom

Hi. I'm looking for a compact point and shoot, to take around with me when I don't want to carry my FZ35. It doesn't need to be pocket sized, but smaller than the FZ35.

I thought initially about the TZ10, but a fair number of reviews seems to suggest you get a fair bit of noise in any dark areas of the pictures at all ISOs. From reading around it looks like anything over 10x zoom has a problem with low light, and I'd like this camera to be relatively versatile - it would be used mostly in daylight, but being able to produce ok evening or indoor shots would be great. So, I'm looking I guess for something that has a zoom between 7x and 10x if they still exist? I would like at least 7x, so it could be an occasional replacement of sorts for the superzoom on walks.

In terms of priority features I guess it would be 1)IQ, 2)low shutter lag, 3)reasonable low light IQ 4)zoom. I may be looking for something that doesn't exist, but happy to go with something that gets maybe 70% of the way there! There are just so many reviews and cameras out there, my head is starting to spin... can anyone help point me in the right direction?
AshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:59 PM   #2

the fz35 is not a very big camera, in fact i was thinking of it as a all-round camera as my canon 50D is a tad big
but take a look at the nikon s9100 ( not 100% sure of model )
or fuji exr series
good luck
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:30 PM   #3

If low light is truly a concern, then the one and only option with a 7x zoom is the Nikon P7000. However, you could check out the Canon SX230 since you will primarily be using it in daylight. Although it doesn't offer any advantages in low light (e.g. bigger sensor, brighter lens), it does do exceptionally well at high ISO for a 1/2.3" sensor camera.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. The SX230 does sound good, and it doesn't sound like there is anything that has above 5x zoom that is good in low light, so the good high iso performance of the SX230 seems the best option. I'll head down to the shops and try it out
AshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:49 AM   #5

AshL, I also decided on the SX230 after all the helpful comments on here and trying it out. Wanted to let you know it's on sale at Best Buy this week. I plan on getting mine after work today.
rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote