Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:31 PM   #1
Default P&S for around $200

Well a little while ago I picked up a Sony WX1 and was somewhat pleased with it. Well on vacation it got soaked with salt water and seems to be dead (I wasnt told it was on the bottom of the stroller during a walk on the beach). Since it was our second day I went to the local Wal-Mart and picked up a Canon ELPH 100HS. It seems pretty decent but I didnt want to be sure this is the best I couldve gotten for my price range ($175-$225).

After lookinng around reading reviews it seems I may have lucked out with the ELPH 100HS. It got solid reviews and seems to be a fast pocket camera that puts out quality photos...the only thing it really lacks is zoom, it is only 4X. I also am considering the Panasonic ZS5...or FH25 to save $, Sony WX9, Nikon S6100. Any others in my price range I should be considering?

Also while searching on here I did not notice much on the Canon ELPH series, any reason for this?
bics56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:31 AM   #2
Default Nikon S8100

Hi! I've been very happy with my Nikon S8100. I had a tight budget and was referred to Cameta Camera from a few different photography blog sites. I ended up getting a factory refurbished camera with a warranty and shipping for $150.00. I love it, especially for the price. They have a website, but I bought mine through an Ebay auction. I think I did quite well.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:49 PM   #3

I think the best deal out there right now is on last year's Sony DSC-HX5V. It's a compact megazoom (10x) with a full feature set and it takes excellent 1080i video at 60fps (AVCHD) format. It was a $350 camera that you can now pick up on Amazon for around $180. If you want something even smaller, the Sony DSC-WX9 is also an excellent choice. The negative on the Canon 100HS is the poor video performance--no optical zoom available and no continuous autofocus (it does do AWB). The Canon 300HS does offer optical zoom and continuous autofocus during video. The 24fps rate on Canon full hd performance does also tend to yield very choppy PQ. The stills are nice though on all canons--but they aren't great value for money IMO.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote