Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:01 AM   #1

Default whats the best low light point and shoot camera?

i need an experts help in deciding which is the best point and shoot camera for me. my main purpose for this camera is night life (clubs, concerts, djs). i need a camera that takes the best pictures in low light (lazers). i also want a camera thats great in video. i like to video record the dj/artist and the crowd going wild, so i need something good with movement (not shaky). also i want something that has zoom because if i cant get to the front stage, at least i can zoom in. brand is not important to me and i dont want to spend over $600. i dont know if such a camera exists, thats why i need your help. thank you for your time.

Last edited by annastar25; Jul 28, 2011 at 5:39 AM.
annastar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:09 PM   #2

there is no p&s that's good for very low light, much less with lots of zoom. i'd suggest you get an olympus pen camera - they have very good low light with the right lens - but the best low light lenses for this camera are primes. sounds to me like you need a dslr and some pricy glass.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:04 PM   #3

You may try to look at the Canon S95, Canon G12, Nikon P7000, Olympus XZ-1, or the Panasonic LX-5. They do better in low light than most other point and shoots however you are only going to get about 5x zoom out of them.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:04 PM   #4

My Canon T3 was less than $600, but pushing it. My sweetie bought it at Walmart, of all places, and I think they are the most expensive. I know that at most other retailers it goes for about $450.

It takes good low-light shots, in auto mode. I haven't tried it in areas with lasers, so I don't know how well it would pick those up. Also, I haven't tried the video. The kit lens isn't too bad. I can zoom pretty far - certainly not comparable to a telephoto lens; but if you aren't going too, too far, it would probably be fine.

The kit does not come with a memory card though, and it is required to take photos. I got the memory card for less than $10. Oh, and it's not a point-n-shoot; but it's a great entry-level dSLR. And it does a lot better than any other camera I've had, in full auto mode.

If you get the camera at one of the less-expensive retailers, you could probably afford to buy a better lens and come in at just about budget.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:40 PM   #5

the best low light pns right now is the olympus xz1 with a 1/1.67 sensor and the biggest aperture range of any pns. 1.8-2.5 .
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:44 AM   #6

Aww, thank you so much for all the options. At least now, I can start with these camera's and decided which would be best for my night life..thanks again!!!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:30 PM   #7

I bet you'd have gotten the sad story thoroughly understood that all PnS suck in low light :P

I have an Fz40 and I'm not dissatisfied with it to be fair.

P.S. Ask people here for some samples of all cameras that you are aiming for. This forum helped me loads in choosing my Fz40

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:35 PM   #8

You would also have to define low light, if you are shooting at 3200, then any 1/2.23 will do a very poor job. But if you are talking about 800iso. They do a decent job. But if you want good 1600iso, you will need to move up to a 1/1.67 sensor. A 1/2.23 depending on the available light at times can produce a good 1600iso photo.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 31, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHassan View Post
I bet you'd have gotten the sad story thoroughly understood that all PnS suck in low light :P
haha yea..it doesnt exist yet!

your pictures are really great but the camera is a little too big for me. thank you for the advice.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
You would also have to define low light, if you are shooting at 3200, then any 1/2.23 will do a very poor job. But if you are talking about 800iso. The do a decent job. But if you want good 1600iso, you will need to move up to a 1/1.67 sensor. A 1/2.23 depending on the available light at times can produce a good 1600iso photo.
ill be mainly taking this camera with me for parties at clubs/outdoor/tents/warehouses/old buildings/& so on. the only main lights they have are the black lights/lazers & whatever lights for the dj both/stage. some have a ton of light (lazers) & some just have a few. if i print them out, they will be mostly 4x6 no bigger than 8x10.

also i will use it when my fiance & i go to dinner dates with a group of 10friends..we try to take pictures of the group & sometimes the picture comes out dark or you cant see everyone. so i just want it to get the whole group.

the panasonic lumix dmc-lx5 is looking really good to me