Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:55 PM   #1
Default Easy to use camera for macro images ~$250

I'm looking for a new camera to use in a lab setting. The camera will be used almost entirely indoors under fluorescent lights for one of two purposes. First to take close up pictures of metallic objects 1 to 12 inches in size. Second to take pictures of test setups 1 to 3 feet in size at a distance of ~5 feet.

Ease of use is very important as the camera will be used by a number of different individuals most of whom will not want to take the time to understand or change any settings. Absolutely a point and shoot affair.

The camera must use rechargable lithium batteries. AA would disapear too fast and are too much of a hassel.

Looking for something in the ~$250 price range but there is definetly budge in the budget for the right camera. However I don't want to overspend on something that does way more then it will be used for.

We are currently using an old coolpix5400 and the complaints that come back to me is its too difficult to get a good close up.

After doing some initial research I was thinking that a olympus SZ10 or SP610 might be a good choice.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Last edited by mx6er2587; Jul 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
mx6er2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:38 AM   #2

I don't know if you can get really good macro shots with a PNS.

I had a Canon PowerShot that let me get fairly close, but not really what I'd call a true macro. I was able to fill the frame clearly with 9 keys (3x3) on my laptop keyboard. But, I couldn't fill the frame with just one key. It cost me about $160 USD, about 4 years ago.

I have no real experience with other PNS cameras. I have a Kodak Easyshare, but it isn't even close to the PowerShot.

Last edited by JeannieBug; Jul 29, 2011 at 3:40 AM. Reason: Added more information.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote