Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:50 AM   #1
Default Best superzoom IQ (S100FS and S200EXR in particular)

So I'm going to be buying a new camera, and I'm looking for the best IQ possible. However I'm trying to steer clear of DSLRs and towards superzooms due to being a student, having a budget etc etc. 4/3rds cameras I could live with too, but they're pretty expensive.

I've sort of half decided on the Fuji FinePix S200EXR, but I'd like to confirm I'm not making a mistake first.

People seem to hail the FZ35 as the superzoom benchmark in good lighting conditions, and I have read that both the Fuji S200EXR and S100FS outperform it.

In low lighting conditions, I believe the S200EXR performs best as well?

I would look at the more recent superzoom cameras (as they have fancier lenses and features), but their sensors are smaller than either of the two Fuji's and I believe IQ suffers as a result.

I've also read on dpreview that the S200EXR just clinches a win over the S100FS on IQ, despite having a smaller sensor, due to the EXR technology.

I would ideally like a wider angle lens than the 30.5mm the S200EXR offers, but I am not put off by it, it would just be nice. As would more zoom at the telephoto end, just in case.

Whilst I had thought that the Fuji HS10 was worse than the other two, and the HS20, whilst better, still was worse, I just found a thread praising it rather highly.

So I'm asking everyone to post their opinions, pointers, anything. Especially if you've used both the S100FS and S200EXR, as these are the two I'm looking at mainly.
jakeythesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:18 PM   #2

Although the FZ35 and Fuji FinePix S200EXR are both bridge cams, they're really 2 very different designs. The Fuji FinePix S200EXR is a lot bigger and heavier than the FZ35, but for good reason. It has a sensor that is 40% larger, which in turn requires a larger lens. The F35 is hailed for its great IQ amongst other 1/2.3" sensor bridge cams, but it can't stand up to the Fuji FinePix S200EXR, particularly once you're out of bright sunlight.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:43 PM   #3

G'day JS

If you see a Fuji S200, then don't let it slip thru your fingers
It is so superior to the FZ35 it's not funny ... and I have the FZ35 !!

However as 5-O says above ... they're 2 different camera styles
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote