Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:29 PM   #1
Default < $125<= $200 (street price) P&S for wife

Much as several online comparative, detailed reviews have been useful to me during my adventures in purchasing my Nikon D700 and my Panny GF1, now I'm looking for comparative reviews of <= $200 (street price) compact P&S cameras. I'm researching and ultimately buying, with my wife's funds and she has set a limit of $200, a camera for her to replace her venerable 2004 Canon S45. She is looking for something relatively small (as small as her S45 would be best), and realizes now that at her stated price limit, she'll not get (although she would prefer otherwise) a vewfinder.
I think that my choice for my wife's camera will likely be a Panny, a Canon or an Olympus, but I find that many online review resources are not aimed at the under $300 (street price) user. I'm posting here in the hope that I might receive suggestions for a reliable compact P&S down in our immediate price class, again--<=$200.
Jim Mohundro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:43 AM   #2

A few years ago, I had a Canon PowerShot (I don't remember the model number) and I liked it. It did its job well. Granted, I was just using it for snapshots of birthday parties and the like, not the artsy stuff. But, it did a good job and took nice photos that were large enough to print and share.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Last edited by JeannieBug; Aug 3, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:22 PM   #3

There isn't much at $200 below that is worth buying imho, but the Canon SX130 is one exception. It's too large for a pocket, but plenty small enough for a purse if that's an option.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote