Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Default Canon Elph 300 HS or the S95

It's time to replace my Canon SD700IS... and Iíve narrowed it down to two choices for myself:

The Canon Elph 300 HS or the S95.

I will mainly be using the camera to take pictures of friends and family at various events (mostly indoors) and pictures while on trips/vacations (Landscapes and other "touristy" things).

I don't see myself using the manual controls too much, but that's mainly because I have no idea what most of the settings do. I am willing to learn though

I don't see myself using the video function on either camera for anything other than odd videos to post to YouTube/Facebook. If i ever needed to record video of life events like a future child, I would get a camcorder.

Reasons I like the Elph 300:
  • 5x Optical Zoom
  • Zooming while in videos and 1080p videos
  • $220 price
Reasons I like the S95:
  • Everything i have read says the picture quality for it is noticeably better than the Elph 300.
  • Much better low light performance (many of the indoor shots I take will end up being at wedding receptions or bars)
  • Options for manual controls (should i choose to not be lazy in the future)
  • Better build quality than the Elph 300.
One final piece of information that may be useful: I am planning to get a DSLR camera once the wife and I are ready to have kids in a few years.

My questions are:

1) Based on the above description of my usage, do you think i will appreciate/use the advantages of the S95?

2) Is the $150 price premium for the S95 worth it for the way i will be using the camera?

Rankedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:28 PM   #2

I think the S95 is worth the price difference, but it largely depends on just how big your prints will be. I doubt you're going to see much, if any, difference at 4x6 and 5x7 sizes. There is certainly a noticeable difference at 1920x1080 (HDTV viewing) or 8x10 print. I'm very pleased with the S95 and there isn't another camera on the market that I would trade it for tbh. The XZ-1 would be an easy 2nd choice for me if only it was smaller. Anyway, Canon's new processing on high ISO images is really very good so check out the HS300 sample images at the big review sites and see what you think.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote