Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:38 AM   #1
Default Camera Choices for the Kayaker

I am looking to upgrade from my Pentax Optio W30 to something better suited for taking pictures/video while kayaking. This has been a great little camera, is very waterproof, and has taken a beating. Here are some wish list items for the next camera:

1. A choice of video formats, or a format that is smaller than .MOV. I have to convert the .MOV files that this camera produces to AVI because the .MOV files are so huge.
2. Versitile mounting. Attachable to PFD, helmet, hat, adaptable with a headband, etc.
3. Waterproof remote control.
4. GPS
5. Image stabilization.
6. Built in or external lens cover.
7. Lenses that don't fog.
8. Good low light performance.
9. Photo wide angle 25 or 28mm.

I've started combing the web in search of something that would offer at least most of these features. If you could please share your recommendations, experiences, and url's to resources, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help!

cdun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:21 AM   #2

Did you find anything yet? And if not, what's your budget.

When I saw this list, I thought if such a camera existed, then everyone will want that camera.

Have you thought about getting a couple (few <grin>) cameras to get you what you want?

I've seen these type of "active" video cameras at our local electronics store . . .

And then get a separate camera for still shots. Maybe waterproof, maybe just water-resistant and then keep it in a waterproof bag when not in use.

Just a thought.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:29 AM   #3

Or there's these things . . .

You can get waterproof versions of this.

My buddy had one of these that I borrowed for my Florida vacation. Mainly just used it as a video camera. Got it in the hotel pool a few times. But I'm not sure how these things would attach to your helmet or kayak. The other systems seems designed more for that.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote