Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Default Recommend $600 Camera For Taking Pics of Toddler

Need a camera to take indoor and outdoor pics of a toddler. Want to spend about $600 for camera and lens. I don't know much about cameras but I think I would need a camera that has a fast turn on time, shot to shot time, and good auto focus and stabilization. Also don't want to use manual controls so need a camera that takes good pics on auto mode

I don't care about lenses, brand, user interface etc. Video would be nice but not required

Haven't decided on a size yet so please recommend a camera in each of these categories, micro 4/3, compact DSLR (like Sony Nex5), regular DSLR

TCCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:12 PM   #2

They are all quite capable of excellent results so go to some camera stores and try various models then buy the one you like the best. Even a good point and shoot will take good photos and most will fall well below $600.

My Sony DSC-H55 is a $250 point & shoot and it takes excellent shots and HD video. No, it can't take dslr quality shots but what it does take is very very good.

You must, of course, learn to use whatever camera you buy for even the best camera cannot take a good photo all by itself. Your skill is the most important factor.
djohnfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:43 PM   #3

How much you spend on a camera is inversely proportional to the cuteness of the toddler

I have an SLR(Sony A200) with several fine lenses and a point and shoot(Sony H70). One setup is worth over a thousand and the other cost less than $200.00. To be honest, it's hard to tell any difference between the two as to image results. Want to guess which one is with me whenever I leave the house?
Sony A57 with 18-55 kit lens, Sony A200 and Sony H70
50mm f3.5 Minolta Maxxum macro
24mm f2.8 Minolta Maxxum
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom

Last edited by Streets; Oct 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4

May be the newly announced Nikon P7100.
Nikon user!
mipo is offline   Reply With Quote