Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:28 PM   #1
Default Upgrading from my Canon Rebel XTi

I'm planning to upgrade from my Cannon Rebel XTi. I've recently shot four weddings (family members). Enjoy shooting family/people...not necessarily portraits. Also like shooting outdoor nature and some sports. Thinking about moving to the Canon 7D. Price is about the range I'm interested in and I understand that the lenses I've purchased (Tamron 17-50; 28-75; f2.8) for the Rebel will be compatible. Plan to use the Rebel as a back up. appreciate any thoughts (good, bad, other).
bsnyder240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:36 PM   #2

The 7D's a gem of a camera... it's fast,well built,has great image quality- and the lenses you have will do just fine on it... not much else to say really..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:22 PM   #3

Agree with what Simon40 has written above. My first DSLR was a Canon 350D, and I bought a 7D as an upgrade. The 7D definitely is superior in every way. Having said that, great photos can be made with any modern DSLR (if you know how to use the equipment).

To me, the major benefits are (in rough order of importance): more accurate / flexible AF, more cropability (18MP vs 8MP), higher ISO capabilities, live view (great for critical focus, eg macro), better FPS & buffer, improved build quality. However everyone has their own photo style and needs differ.

Your Tamron lenses will work well on a 7D. Depends what 'outdoor nature' you refer to... eg large wildlife, small birds, trees, flowers, insects, landscapes - what lens would be best for that. Though if you're interested in 'some sports' you might find your current lenses not the best (you may need something that focusses faster and has more reach). Sports is perhaps one of the most demanding photographic genres for lenses.

If you post a specific question on the lens forum, you should hopefully receive some good advice there.

All the best for your purchase / upgrade. Let us know how you go.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:01 PM   #4

Ditto the above but also look at the 60d, it doesnt have the frame rate but has the same sensor
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote