Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Default FZ100 vs SX30 IS vs P500? Semi new to photography.

I thought I had my decision made with the FZ100 but it looks so bad in low light situations I'm wondering again.

The FZ100 seems worse in low light than the FZ40, which doesn't make much sense to me seeing as the FZ100 is almost $100 more.

I was going to get a P500 but it looks really blurry on test videos at 1080p fullscreened on Youtube and I'm probably going to be recording a lot of videos. I also saw on a review that it's really shaky which could be an issue because I can't keep my hands steady well with the pills I'm taking for my blood pressure (Marfans syndrome ) so that could be a problem. Is it blurry just because of the 1080p? Is there a way that if I buy this I can keep the videos from being super blurry? It looks blurry at 720p as well which is keeping me from deciding on this.

The SX30 IS seems like a jack of all trades master of none. Going off of what reviews I've seen and snapsort.com this is better than the FZ100 but worse than the P500. It fairs better in the dark than the FZ100 but doesn't look as good as the P500? It looked a little blurry but not as bad as the P500.

Is the video blurriness because I'm using a semi outdated computer with a 19 inch flatscreen monitor? I worry because I plan to record a lot of video but if I can't expect good video quality from these I'll just put it out of my mind. I like these because they're all in the $300 range used.

I've been taking photos of anything and everything for the past few years with a dinky compact Coolpix that my mom just broke. With Christmas coming up this seems like a good time to treat myself to a new camera to learn the technical stuff on. Sorry if I'm leaving any info out, I'm kind of rushed typing this.
Aleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:33 AM   #2

Difficult to assess unless you can get all 3 to play with.
As you mention,the Nikon fares pretty well in lower light and has decent high iso noise control,unlike the Panny. The canon is a good all rounder,but has lens fringing issues- something the Panasonic does not have. The Nikon's a fast shooter too,but the Panny's a fast focussing camera. So they all have their pro's and cons.
If budget allows however, the newer Canon SX40 and the Panny FZ150 are a genuine leap forward on all counts.
With regards video- I always find cameras shoot better in standard VGA mode anyway...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:37 AM   #3

Taken at 280mm,iso 1600,1/60th sec,f5 with Canon SX40HS...!
Pretty good noise control,I think...
Attached Images
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:28 PM   #4

I can't help with the video problems, but the 1080 verse 720 should not be the reason the results are blurry / fuzzy.

The FZ100 was not Panasonic's best camera in recent years, yes low light capabilities were worse than that of the FZ40/45.

On the other-hand you should look at the FZ150 (the FZ100 replacement) people say its a good camera with image quality better than the FZ35/38.

On the choice of best camera, no digital camera will suit everything you need of a camera.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote