Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:44 AM   #1
Default Best Scuba Underwater P&S

I'm a certified Scuba Diver going on a dive trip next month and I'm torn between 2 cameras:
- Panasonic DMC-TS3
- Olympus TG-810

They are both very similar, but there are some notable distinctions:

Panasonic DMC-TS3
+ Great picture quality
+ Fast
+ 1080 HD Video
- Really annoying "Precaution/Warning" every time the camera is turned and every time it is put in any Underwater mode
- Average underwater housings (Ikelite and Panasonic) with no support for attaching a fiber optic cable
- No lens cover
- 2 underwater modes (Snorkeling, Deep)

Olympus TG-810
- Average pictures
- Extremely slow with 4-5 second start up time
+ Superior underwater housing (made by Olympus) with black front, labeled buttons, excellent shutter release, and available adapter for fiber optic strobe
+ Built-in lens cover
+ 4 underwater modes (Snorkeling, Macro, 2 Wide modes)

I love the speed and picture quality of the DMC-TS3, but I like the housing and feature set of the Olumpus TG-810.

Any suggestions? I also like the Nikon AW100 but there's no underwater housing available from Nikon and it's unclear how much third party manufacturers will charge.
ApolloX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:24 AM   #2

I don't know anything about the Panasonic, and I have the predecessor of 810, the 8000.

I'm not really happy with the picture quality, it seems to need alot of light. I've snorkled with it and you must get really close to get good pictures, we're talking .5m / 2ft. Otherwise all the colours is the same, greenish. I've used it in the Caribbean where you have 10-12m perfectly clear water, so it is not that.

And also the lens cover, it has gotten stuck in the housing several times, i guess it's because of sand and salt in the water. Also the housing is made of different metals which in contact with salt water makes some of them corrode. So make sure to wash it thouroghly in fresh water when done.
~ Marcus
Marquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:48 PM   #3

I look forward to seeing the pictures
john7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:17 PM   #4
Default Nikon AW100 Underwater Housing

So far I only found one company that makes underwater housing for Nikon AW100. Company name is Nimar but they are pricey about $400 (sorry I lost the link). I contacted Fantasea and they said they will not make a housing for this camera at the moment. They are waiting for the next generation. Ikelite is not manufacturing a housing for this camera due to size [http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camnikchart.html]
screenmails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:07 PM   #5

Rick Clark is offline   Reply With Quote