Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:43 PM   #1
Default video camera for son

Hi, I am so glad to find this forum. Our 13 yo son wants a video camera for Christmas. He wants to be able to use it to take everyday type videos but he also wants to be able to edit with software and make short movies. Is this possible with the less expensive pocket video cameras?

2hoyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:02 PM   #2

There are small and cheap pocket video cameras, but they shoot video similar to a ordinary still camera nowadays, so therefor you should also check this possibility. And also, look for something rugged that can can be dropped and so on. Other than that, I'm out. Good luck!
~ Marcus
Marquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3

almost all cameras these days take fairly good to very good movies that can be edited. are there any features in particular he's looking for? the panasonic ZS10 seems like it might a good one - it's not that large, but has a 16x zoom lens that can be used while shooting video. video can be shot in 2 formats, one of which offers 1020i. i'd suggest a panasonic fz150, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. if your local camera store has one in stock, your son doesn't mind a larger camera, and it's in your budget, it seems to be an excellent choice for video.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote