Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:35 AM   #1
Default Good compact for seniors?

I'm looking for a point and shoot for my grandpa in the $100-$200 price range and I am hoping you guys might help me. I'm considering mainly image quality, IS, ease of use (buttons for big hands) and large LCD as the main factors here for a senior. His last camera was a Nikon so he is used to their interface, but I am willing to leave Nikon behind if I can find a compact that meets his needs with another brand. Oh, not a decisive factor, but he has a pet-peeve with flimsy battery slot covers :P

So far I've considered and discarded MANY cameras and I'm seriously willing to start over. My top choices have been:

- Canon Elph 300 HS: BUT I've read it has a problem with a very wide angle lens (24mm) which results in the right and left side of some pictures being soft (and the 310 is just out of my price range.) It's a shame, as I loved the reviews on solid low light results for its price. Should I reconsider?

- Canon A3300: really good reviews for this one, but I'm taken aback by the many mentions of its flat buttons that are difficult to press (big no-no). The shot to shot speed is not the best either (pretty slow).

- Nikon S4100: I was pretty excited about the touch screen feature as I thought it might fulfill the simplicity and ease of use required for older hands (but I'm also concerned it might turn into a problem if it becomes unresponsive). It's also been said that it shows extremely slow performance and a weak flash.

- Coolpix S6200: I really liked the one-touch button for movies, BUT reviews indicate the quality is soft and noisy, and slow (CNET called it auto-focusely-challenged!).

As you might have realized, I dont care too much about zoom, megapixels or manual controls as he will only shoot in Auto and maybe some scene modes.

Maybe my mistake has been that I should look into other brands, but the truth is I'm lost with anything out of Canons and Nikons as I have never bought anything but that. :s

I am looking for any suggestions really, as I am nearly going mad in this search process, pleeeease help!!

thank you in advance!
IvyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:12 PM   #2

Check out Panasonic's ZS series and Fujifilm's P&S line.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:24 PM   #3

The Canon Ixus 115HS is a nice little chap at a decent price- with a very straight forward interface,separate movie button and a basic slider switch for full auto. It has a nice screen also and ,of course,image stabilisation. However- it is quite "bijou" in its proportions- much in the same direction as most compact manufacturers nowadays.
Something chunkier(and with a 12x zoom also) is the Canon SX150.
However,try not to get too caught up in micro assessing these "point and shoots" too much- all results are subjective- what a reviewer might call decent today,would be brilliant 3 years ago..! Processing times have improved,focus times are quicker- and more accurate- and most have far better higher iso image quality than ever before. Also bear in mind how your Grandfather is going to use it- if he's just going to be "snapping" then any of those you mention will probably be just fine..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:17 AM   #4

Thank you both for your ideas. SIMON40 you are totally right, reviews are subjective and I'm spending waaaay too much time looking into this. I will go to the store tomorrow and pick one out based on what I already know and their specs.

Oh! and the Ixus 115HS is the one I bought for my sister last Christmas and so far I haven't heard any complaints. After all, she's just "snapping"
IvyNut is offline   Reply With Quote