Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:46 PM   #1

Default What is a good DSLR wanna be

I've been drooling for a dSLR for years. I've currently got a Sony DSCH1 which isn't bad but the dSLR pics look better.

I'm seeing reviews for cameras that are digital dSLR-like for those of us just into taking photos without the hassle of changing lenses and the like. One mentioned was Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR. The few things I would like is video capabilities, continuous 1.3 fps up to 9 frames like the Sony or better!, and more of a dSLR quality.

Is there anything out there now that fits the bill or do I keep waiting?
Thanks!
gheniphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:09 AM   #2
Super Moderator

What's your budget?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:33 AM   #3

There are super zooms for DSLR. 18-105 or 18-135, that pretty well eliminate the need to change lenses -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lr-review.html

While these lenses are standard on the more expensive bodies, you can also put them on the least expensive bodies.

Kelly Cook
(Canon 28-135)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:49 PM   #4

$200-400 would be best range.

I'm a mom of 4 moving kids, changing lenses is where my problem would fall in terms of dSLRs. As much as I love the final product I don't see me changing lenses. Someone outside of here recommended the Fuji to a friend for similar reasons. I thought I'd see what the pros here thought of there being a product, be it the Fuji or something, that might work. I've been wanting the dSLR for so long but haven't really looked into anything and now I see technology has improved in all these years. yeah!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:50 PM   #5

Kcook, going to look at your link now, thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:55 PM   #6

That looks very nice and perfect, but that would put me in the same place with purchasing a dSLR, need to save. LOL
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:47 PM   #7

Fair point, really beyond a $400 target.
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:00 PM   #8

G'day Jennifer

As you are discovering, the prices of 'good' cameras incl dSLR cameras is well over the $400 figure ..... bugga

I'd suggest you have a look into the Canon Powershot range > look at the S95 [been around for a while & going cheap these days] or the newer SX150 [and other camera makers have similar cameras too]

This would get you a good quality camera that will give you many years of good service, and "when the kids have waved goodbye" you can then afford to get into the dSLR world

ps- if you have not already done so, have a sqwiz at the "DPReview.com" site for camera information

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:49 PM   #9

gheniphre- maybe a more modern bridge camera would be suitable,given your budget- and that they have similar functionality to a DSLR anyway. Their image quality has come on leaps and bounds since the DSC-H1,though obviously not quite at DSLR standard.
The latest crop of "bridges" have much longer zoom ranges(and wider angles)than before- pretty much all shoot some form of HD video,and just about all are image stabilised.
Many offer much,MUCH faster shooting speed than your older Sony also.
The latest and most recent suspects are Nikon's P100 or the P500,Panasonics FZ range- the latest being the FZ-150- though the older FZ-100 is still competent. Sony has the HX-100V with the HX1 being a decent older model,Canon has the SX40hs out now,which is a faster alternative to the still available SX30is and Fuji still has the HS10 and HS20.
The Nikon is the least expensive here,with the Panny' FZ-150 and the SX40 at the pricier end.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:00 AM   #10

Gheniphre, have you checked out the Nikon P7100? It's available as of this date on Amazon.com for $409. It has a 28-200mm zoom range, which is pretty useful and has a sensor that's larger than in most bridge-type cameras like Nikon's P100 or P500. Translation: that should mean better image quality. The Canon G12 is quite similar except its zoom range is 28-140mm but the Canon has a fully articulating rear LCD. The Nikon's only tilts.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote