Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:14 PM   #11

On the specific point of resolution, I find I can crop into a portion of a shot that interests me far more effectively when I use my 7D (18mp) over my 5D (12mp). If I don't want to crop I tend to prefer the images from the 5D. So it isn't a question with a simple answer.
Canon 5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, EF-S 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, A1+10 FD lenses, tripods, lights etc
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:39 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Not many people use ISO above 1600 even with cameras that can go to 3200.

12MP is more than enough even for cropping and enlarging photos into poster style prints. Its fallacy to think that bigger is always better as anyone in photography will tell you. Sometime you will get better shots with a lower MP sensor.

How did they manage in ther days when MPs were only 10MP or lower? Were the prints worse then than today? No!

I use ISO6400 when shooting basketball games in the high school gym. The lowest I would use in that situation and also night time high school football is ISO1600. If the higher ISO is usable their can be a lot of good reason to use it in lower light and action situations.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote