Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:15 PM   #1
Default which superzoom?

which superzoom have got best IQ in low light or for night photography at present under 400?
neo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:35 PM   #2

If by night photography you mean long exposures at low iso's then most will be ok.
If,however,your subjects are not static and you'll be using higher iso settings- or just have no time to hang about- the Canon SX40HS or the Panasonic FZ-150 seem to perform the best in this regard.
One point of note is that the Canon,when using exposures over 1 second(with a max of 15) iso settings cannot be over 100.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:22 PM   #3

I'm not sure how much 400 pounds is in dollars, but there are plenty of cameras competing for your low light shooting dollars. However, the best of the crop I would say is the Canon S100 or S95. Fast lens and larger sensor equals better low light shooting. If either of those are too expensive, look at the Sony HX7V and HX9V. Also, don't overlook the Nikon Coolpix S8200 or S9100.

Good luck!
L'duck <><
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)
locoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:23 AM   #4

the s95 and s100 are good cameras, but not the right tool for someone looking for a superzoom. as far as i know, all superzooms have the same small sensor, but canons may have the edge when it comes to jpg processing.

that being said, there have been some improvements in processing. the back illuminated sensors and features like handheld night mode are improving low light pics from cameras like the fz150 and the sx40 and some of their related lower models. i've seen some fairly impressive low light pics recently, some of which were shot using handheld night mode. i got some pretty nice museum pics with my fz150 using careful tweaking between shutter speed, ISO and aperture.

are you interested in shooting raw?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:05 PM   #5

G'day neo

I would also invite you to meander thru this forum site for identical posts & their answers that have gone thru discussions over the last 3-6 months

You will see lots of very good comment and opinions too
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote