Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Default Looking for a P&S with a bit of manual control

Hi! I'm looking for a new camera and registered here so I could ask everyone's favorite question: which camera should I buy?

I'm coming from a Canon PowerShot SD1000. I'd like to spend under $250.

Main use cases:
  1. Outdoor: Lots of landscapes, skies and clouds, sunrises, sunsets, summit views taken while hiking, backpacking, and camping.
  2. Indoor Low Light: A lot of random family photos, holidays, etc
  3. Kids: Action shots of my 3 yo and 2 mo kids, who rarely sit still for a nice photo.

Size: Compact or ultracompact. Something I can stick in my pocket. Something bigger in terms of breadth and width is fine, but nothing thick enough to require a separate case.

- Biggest feature I'd like is a bit more manual control than my Canon SD1000 does.
- I'd really like a built-in HDR mode.

- 10 MP would be fine- pixel count isn't all a big issue.
- Optical Zoom: Standard is fine. Ultrazoom might be fun, but I rarely use the 3x optical zoom on my Canon SD1000 as it is.
- Not sure how to rate image quality- I would balance it with how long each shot takes. But image quality is very important.

Brands: Only digicams I've had are Canon- used the SD1000 for the last 4-5 years and its older brother the S200 before that. We've been happy with both of them, especially the quality of the color. My first instinct is to look at what Canon, but I'm far more interested in getting a well performing camera at a good price.

Candidates So Far
- Nikon P300 - Current front runner.
- Canon ELPH 500 - Not excited about the touch screen.
- Canon SX220/SX230 - don't really need the GPS, and not keen on the battery drain.

I'm not tied to any of these particular cameras, but they look like they do what I'd like. If I had a $400+ budget, I'd probably get a Canon S95 or S100.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of the options- I'm very unfamiliar with the other brands and their offerings. Nothing is off the table!

Thanks all!
revaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:36 AM   #2

Have you looked at TZ18/TS8 depending on where you are good features and price
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:36 PM   #3

Been out for a while now,but the 10mp Canon Ixus 300HS is a decent little all rounder,if zoom isn't a big priority.
A fast f/2 lens(at wide angle) should help low light/indoor shots- and has shutter and aperture priority modes for more control.
It can also be found now at some VERY reasonable prices.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:34 PM   #4

Pentax Q- like a micro DSLR!
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote