Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:20 PM   #1
Default Bang for Buck camera?

I'm looking for a camera that gives me my bang for my buck.I'm trying to use this camera for everyday\ when I go to concerts. Most venues won't allow people to bring in professional \ dslr \ interchangeable lens camera. I've looked at Nikon Coolpix p500, Canon powershot SX30 (possibly 40), or the Nikon Coolpix S9100. Don't know which one gives me my bang for my buck.

Honestly, I'm also looking at Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V. Possibly the Fujifilm FinePix HS10.

What I'm looking for is :
Image quality (great quality and priority.)
Fast speed \ shooting
Manual settings (Plan to mess around with the camera)
Hd Video

I can't decide and hoping you guys can help me pick out.
Tsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:47 PM   #2

If you're possibly looking at the SX40HS- then I guess the Panasonic FZ-150 might have to enter the equation..? It would certainly be the most expensive- but arguably the most competent,certainly in terms of speed- both burst mode AND auto-focus speed.
In terms of IQ- the SX40 would be No 1,with the Panny' very close behind.
The P500 would not be quite up to the level of the two mentioned- but can be had for almost half the price... so definitely food for thought!!
Why not do a camera search on the Flickr website- and see if there are any types of the photos taken,such as the ones you're after- and see if they'll suffice.
Here's some shots I took indoors at a recent gig with my SX40HS...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:21 PM   #3

I recently picked up the Nikon S8200 and so far I love it. It doesn't give you PASM modes, but there are enough other creative features there to keep you interested and egaged. Even without PASM, if you take the time to understand what each scene setting is doing with your aperture and shutter, you can use those modes for other shooting conditions. Just because a camera has a 'fireworks' mode doesn't mean it can only be used for that. I got the S8200 for $229 at Costco with a nice leather case and a 4Gb Lexar SD card. With 16Mp CMOS sensor, 14x zoom, all the creative features and controls, and easy easy to learn menu system, mode dial and shutter button in the 'right' places on top of the camera, a nice size and rubberized finish for a good grip and what I think is stellar IQ, it's darn hard to find a better bang for your buck IMHO. Again, every photographer wants great image quality. Most, if not all modern digital cameras are more than capable of delivering that if you do your job. As Ken Rockwell states, "Your camera doesn't matter!". The S8200 is kind of overlooked, but I think it's worth a good look. I will be posting some pics I took with the S8200 later today.

If you want to see some sample S8200 pics, look at my post entitled 'Coolpix S8200' on the Nikon forum.

Good luck,
L'duck <><
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Last edited by locoduck; Jan 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM.
locoduck is offline   Reply With Quote