Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:15 PM   #1
Default Advice please on action camera

I want to buy either a Sony HX100 or an Olympus SP810UZ or a Canon SX40. Because thats all I really know about.
I mostly use my cameras to take action shots of my Arabian horses. I also like to take slow motion ones of them or bursts or choose a pic from a video. I like crystal clear pics of their faces etc whereby you can almost count every hair!! I also like to take telephoto shots of them and other horses
In the past, I have found cameras that need you to be able to fly Concorde they have so many buttons...and then the moment has passed. Or I take slow motion,but it only takes so many frames and I am left in the dark...it doesnt show me what I am taking..can you believe it? Or if I take close up of their faces on automatic...because I never quite trust my judgement and anyway, you cant be playing around with appertures etc. if you are an amateur trying to capture the perfect pic of your horse!!
Basically, I need some lessons...but that day might never come, so meanwhile...can anyone who might have the same problems and has solved them, let me know what I should do? Of course, my horses are not my only thing I photograph...but that is important to me. Thanks
katyverdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:25 PM   #2

You need higher resolution to capture more detail.

If the subject is moving, you need fast shutter speeds to prevent motion blur. Most cameras can do that outdoors.

If you want to do that indoors as well, that's where you'll run into problems.

That required a dSLR with a large aperture lens. That's not the kind of thing you'll get with the cameras you're talking about. But if you just want to be able to do something like this ...

... then any of those cameras you mentioned should do ok.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote