Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:10 AM   #1
Default Brdige or Compact zoom?

Hi-new to the Forum and seeking advice please.
I currently have a Canon 450D but find that the supplied telephoto lens of 70-210 just is not bringing me close enough for nature shots, besides being rather bulky. So, am looking at Bridge camera such as Panasonic FX150, Canon SX40, Sony HV100V and Nikon P510.
Most usage will include travel shots and garden wildlife hence considering a 'superzoom' for flexibility and size. The ability to have high quality video is also attractive.
I doubt I will print anything larger than A4.
I understand RAW to be an advantage for editing, would also like manual as well as auto zoom and viewfinder.
The FZ seems to be hitting most buttons so far - any thoughts from users of it?
Would I be better with a compact - they seem to be up to about 16x zoom or so - and with good cmos sensors?
Any advice/suggestions re best choice gratefully received please!!
NomadUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2

The FZ150 has gotten favorable reviews from almost everyone - picture quality, low light performance, burst mode ... The one thing that people pick it a little is its shorter zoom max (600mm) vs that of some of its competitors. The FZ40 zooms out to 840mm and the P510 goes out to 1000mm.
I would probably go for the FZ40.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:03 PM   #3

Hi I got FZ 150 and I like it very much. I am new to photography and I have a lot to learn yet but when I was looking for the camera I did a lots of reserch and for me it come down to two models SX40 and FZ 150 ( P510 wasnt on the market). I like theway FZ 150 fits my hands and I like the way buttons are on the camera. Shorter zoom was not that big of a deal for me, and I like an option of RAW for editing. I recived excelent advice from members here , that I should go to the store and handle both cameras to see which feels best and I think thats was the best advice I could recive.
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:27 PM   #4

G'day UK Nomad

Just a thought ... if you go back to around christmas time, I posted into 'General Discussion' [I think] several items titled "Lens Comparisons" - comparing the FZ100 to other camera / lens combos

You might like to follow them up to see what the FZ lens is capable of when compared with SLR lenses
Regards, Phil [an Aussie nomad]
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:23 PM   #5

After an exhausting search over weeks time - I decided on the Panasonic FZ-150 on the strength of its Leica lens, my record of Panasonic electronics quality, and mostly the clear sharp photographs found across the internet. Another bonus is the FZ-150 will take regular screw-in glass filters - to my way of thinking it's essential to use least a haze (UV) to protect the lens - sometimes I'll even unscrew the filter, take it off, shoot, and then replace it whilst walking about! And I like to use a good polarizing filter also. Hoya brand.

Here is some helpful info on the FZ-150:

~fz50 fan~
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:22 AM   #6

hi Nomad
I totally agree with you..Its quite difficult to choose the right one from the lot..its quite confusing...I'm not an expert but still..I closely read those reviews about fz150 and sx40hs..somewhere feature wise and handling wise fz150 is a step ahead than sx40hs...but i think (according to the reviewers) sx40hs can produce better IQ than the others(in low-light condition fz150 is better)..But as I say..my knowledge is very limited and I'm not an expert...
I think these links will be helpful to you...http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-SX...anasonic-FZ150
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote