Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:37 PM   #1
Default Is there any wide angle lens for Canon Powershot S5IS?

I am a real estate agent, and have a Canon powershot S5IS. I am not happy with the photos it took, either it is grey indoors or not clear. I cant take wide angle photos neither when I am inside of the property.

I am just wondering if there are any wide angle lens for it? What lens would be good for interior photos? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you!
Jin_allscrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2

Hi Jin

I have taken interior photos for real estate before both semi-professionally, to display buildings that were being renovated - and to thank supporters / investors, as well of my own house - to show people.

Sadly (for you) - while the Canon S5 IS is a decent camera, it's not very appropriate for indoor photos. Mainly because it doesn't have a very wide angle lens. In 35mm equivalents, the 'wide' angle only goes 'down' to 36mm. I would suggest many interior photos would be better if you have a camera starting at 24mm. I have 2 Canon DSLRs, and use a Sigma "ultra-wide zoom" lens that goes down to 16mm.

The other thing (about grey / not clear images) might be to do with the light level. You are best served by using a tripod for many darker indoor shots. If you don't have or use a tripod, make sure you can lean against something (or put the camera on a chair / table, or bench, etc) so it's steady when you take the shot. Use IS when you are holding it.

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT get a 'wide extender' for your camera, as the image quality suffers (eg not as sharp, more distortions, etc). Here in Australia, there are companies that have good cameras / lenses and do real estate photography as a professional (paid) service for some real estate companies. Other real estate agencies require their agents / managers to have and use a suitable camera (and possibly learn how to do this too).

Sorry... it doesn't seem good news so far.

BUT... you can get newer cameras (also point and shoot cameras) that go down to 24mm, which would be more suitable. They don't have to cost the earth either. Personally I'd go with a budget DSLR and an inexpensive ultra-wide lens... but that's just my perspective.

Let us know how you go.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:44 PM   #3

G'day mate

I'd go along with most of the above suggestions - but unless you really want to become a 'good photographer', I'd suggest you stay with your little canon cameras

Some possibilities that will slip in the pocket & give you a wide-angle lens are

All have a 5x times zoom lens from 24mm - 120mm equiv
Canon PowerShot ELPH 320 HS, 16 megapixels, 3.2" screen
Canon PowerShot S100, 12 megapixels, 3" screen,
Canon ELPH 300 HS, 12 megapixels, 2.7" screen,

The 12mpx versions will be cheaper than the 16mpx one

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:29 PM   #4

A few samples of wide converters on a S3/S5...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote