Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:25 PM   #1
Default HD Camcorders - Canon Vixia or others?

Hi guys. I don't know if anyone here has much experience with camcorders, but you've always provided the best insights for dSLRs, lenses, P&S and more, so I figured it was worth a shot.

My turning-13-year-old daughter is becoming a budding filmmaker. She's looking for something that goes beyond what her little Kodak PlaySport can do.

So, I'm looking for a flash-based HD camcorder that will give her decent use, but with a modest budget (preferably the $300-400 range).

I'd like something that can handle shooting in dimly lit areas and can accept an external mic as needed. I also want something that will play nicely with iMovie 11 on the MacBook Pro.

The one I'm leaning towards is the Canon Vixia HF R21, but I'm open to other brands and models. My current camcorder is a Canon (mini DV tape based) and it's been pretty good, and I've used Canon SLR and dSLRs for years.

I've heard a few issues with the Vixia's not being fully supported by iMovie, but have also heard that there's an easy workaround using the USB cable and not using any Canon software.

So, assuming I'm in the right place (and camcorder questions aren't banned), any thoughts? Or, is there a better forum for these types of questions?

graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2

I'm in a similar boat as you, my 13 year old wants to get into cameras but he also wants to shoot video.

I looked at the HF series and they deliver great video.

If your daughter isn't interested in still photography too, I'd say the HF R21 is a great choice.

Just my two cents.

mrmoses is offline   Reply With Quote