Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:53 PM   #1

Default small point and shoot with great zoom..??

I had a Nikon P100, was happy with it, but I use my camera more for concerts, sporting events etc and to be honest, was somewhat a pain to carry around and alot of concert venues don't allow the larger cameras (yes it's a point and shoot but little bulkier and not the 'fit in pocket' size, plus most dont allow a lens over 70mm into a venue).

So anyways, I figured what's the point of buying the larger type when i can't even take it with me to a concert or whatever....

Also I travel alot, and dont care for carrying around a case, or having a camera around my neck all the time, I found myself when going out say to just a bar or with friends while on vacation I would just take my crappy small camera with me alot more than the bigger one, just easier.

So now what I would like is a small point and shoot, with a super zoom lens, the p100 had a 26x zoom and was perfect, so I'm asking now what would be the best compact camera (point and shoot) that would get me great shots (at least 20x zoom or more) and for around $300-500 range.

I also like doing the close up macro shots, so one that does those well too.... Im no pro or anything, still consider myself a newbie, so I don't know all the technical stuff, mostly use auto mode, just want a simple point and shoot with great zoom that gets great results.

any suggestions?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
I'm asking now what would be the best compact camera (point and shoot) that would get me great shots (at least 20x zoom or more) and for around $300-500 range.
What you're looking for is usually described as a "travel zoom" camera, i.e. a relatively compact camera with great zoom. Both Panasonic and Canon have a good reputation in that category, so either the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 or the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS (or Canon PowerShot SX240 HS if you prefer the GPS-less model) would be right for you, I think.
Anyway, those are not the only choices. Here's a list of 7 cameras that may fit your needs:
The best recent compact digital cameras that can macro focus at 5cm and have 20x zoom for less than $500

HOWEVER

Quote:
I use my camera more for concerts, sporting events etc
Those are two settings that are very demanding for a camera. You didn't specify if you shoot at night concerts and sporting events, but if that's the case, then you may have to moderate your expectations about any of these cameras' performance.
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3

thanks!

how would the picture quality compare from the Nikon P100 to the two you recommened? (Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 or the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:56 AM   #4

It's hard to tell. Both the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 or the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS are very recent models, so there aren't a lot of reviews out about them, though you can find some sample pictures taken with them if you search for them.
Based on the specs alone, the Nikon P100 should have a slight advantage in image quality over these Panasonic and Canon, but I don't think it'd be noticeable unless you go pixel peeping at 100 %
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:40 AM   #5

According to dcresource, the image quality for the SX260 HS is higher than that of other compact superzooms although it lacks some of their "bells and whistles".
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:00 PM   #6

Samsung WB750
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:46 PM   #7

Keep in mind that as you zoom in, light is reduced and thus the ISO is raised. In other words, a long zoom isn't terribly useful for concerts unless these are outdoor concerts in daylight or indoor concerts with very, very bright stage lighting.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:57 PM   #8

I'm afraid such a camera (small (tiny sensor), good for concerts (high-iso noise, dynamic range) and sports (quick exposure & AF)) simply doesn't exist.

Even if the zoom is 10-200mm (35mm equiv). At 200mm you'll need plenty of light for a good shot, and of course, the AF simply won't be suitable for serious sport shooting. Not to talk about the shot-to-shot time.

There are some good and very portable cameras I know, but none of them have that zoom.

Personally, I don't see the point of taking pictures of concerts, they always comes out very bad and most concerts have official coverage. After all, they don't want you taking professional-quality pictures. You could take my advice: forget about the pictures and enjoy the concert .
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:29 PM   #9

hi. i like to take photos at concerts and understand about the limitations of a non-professional photographer and being allowed to what you can take in with you. i have a panasonic ZS9 and have had some really good results with it. here are a few examples:

Name:  P1000371a.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  P1000398a.jpg
Views: 3010
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  P1000413a.jpg
Views: 2989
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  P1000472.jpg
Views: 3042
Size:  53.7 KB

The pany ZS9 is a great camera, i imagine the ZS20 has only gotten better. i would definitely recommend a panasonic.

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:42 PM   #10

No I understand and agree about concert photos, I dont care for getting perfect shots, and usually I dont care if I have it with me or not, I watch the concert, I hate the people that hold their damn camera and record half the show, annoying...... but nothing wrong with taking a few shots.

So for concerts not a big deal, guess I mentioned that wrong in original post, but anyways... ya just looking for a decent camera to replace my Nikon P100 but looking for one a bit smaller.... and a decent zoom as I do like taking zoom shots at sporting events sometimes.... 20x zoom would be fine probably, but any word if these compact will have a 26 or 30x zoom come out anytime soon? I'm in no rush to buy one, so if there's news of newer models coming out with a zoom greater than 20x for a compact I have no problem holding off til then....