Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2012, 9:36 AM   #1

Default Canon s100, Panasonic FZ150 or Canon sx40 hs ??? Please get me out of it !!!! SOS

Hello Guys,

This has been the best Forum i have seen on photography yet, though i m not a pro. I have just started myself to explore on this side.
I know its a bit headache to big guys to tell this everytime. I m actually concerned for FZ150 and sx40.
I have been in big dilemma on selection of one of the above.. My major interests in photography are
- Macro
- Portrait (blurred background)
- Distant subjects (birds, nature and wildlife)
- Normal day to day use

Does focus points, exposures and raw format that is added in fz150 has an advantage over sx40. I am almost on sx40 , but these things are a it of a hold back for me on fz150.

Please help me finalize one of these. I wanna get one ASAP

Last edited by atul.kaushal; May 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
atul.kaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2012, 4:55 PM   #2

The advantages of the FZ-150 over the SX40 is the faster autofocus- and the much faster continuous mode when using autofocus between each frame.
The option to add an external mic can only be seen as a bonus during video capture- and the video capture is arguably the best currently on a bridge camera.
The screen is slightly bigger (though only by 0.3")- and the option of shooting RAW if you so wish- giving you even more control over the final output of your images- albeit with some post processing.
I also think the layout/handling of the FZ-150 is better- but that's just my opinion of course.
The SX40 arguably produces slightly better jpeg's straight out of the camera- but again this is a close call- and only an opinion. It also outreaches the FZ-150 by some way- 840mm to 600mm- though 600mm isn't too shabby..!!
For Macro I've had no problem with the SX40- though it may help to use the reduced AF area size for accuracy- and also the same for full zoom shots- where the standard AF area size might be too large to focus on a little bird- and focus on a branch or some other undesirable...!!
For portrait work- a shallow depth of field can be achieved- but you have to be careful with the distance to your subject,and the zoom range you use... but,of course not to the degree a DSLR can create with an appropriate lens..!
For normal day to day shots- both have excellent "auto" modes- an can pretty much be left to do it all for you- though for faster moving subjects,you might want to select the appropriate "sports" mode,which prioritises a higher shutter speed.

Here's a couple of excellent,concise reviews of both....
The Canon-
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...HS/index.shtml
and the Panny'-
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...mix_DMC_FZ150/

I haven't given you much to go on with the S100- and I haven't made a comparison- simply because the other two are very different beasts.
That's not to say the S100 isn't a cracking little camera- though with the obvious limitations when compared to the two above.
That said- if you wanted to be discreet,indoors,at close range in lower light- the S100 would be the one to beat here...!
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 7:13 PM   #3

Thanks a ton Simon...
Have been knowing much more that earlier since ur explorative advice.

I know you have helped me sail almost to the SX40 bank. My heart listens to SX40 and brain to FZ150.
Is it really a big deal for all my interests if i go for SX40 not FZ150 ???
Old May 3, 2012, 4:38 AM   #4

If possible- try and get both in your hands and see how they feel to you- you may instantly prefer one over the other and will be far easier to make a decision.
When I was deciding between these two- I was offered a great deal on the SX40- which swayed my decision- but had I been offered a similar deal on the FZ-150,I'd have gone that way- sacrificing a bit of zoom for AF speed and RAW shooting.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks again Simon

Yeah i will pop into the store to get both in hands and see which i am more comfy with.
Still a discussion on these two, (I am grateful to you for getting me out of it)
- I have read about CHDK hack on Canon to get over the RAW stuff, though i m nt really into modifying the clicks, i would probably go with straight out of the camera with slight changes (I hope i would be able to do them on jpegs as well)

- I am nt sure of the other part of AF speed in FZ150. How much difference this makes in my interests.

- How different is the quality of the colours/ details of the photographs out of the two...

Hell... I am so bloody confused on these....

Appreciate the help !!!!
Old May 3, 2012, 4:05 PM   #6

The AF speed of the Panny is the quickest out there- period.
It also has a burst mode- with autofocus on each frame- of 5.5 fps- which is seriously quick by bridge camera standards. It also has a burst mode of 12 fps- though of course this only lasts for a second and the AF is acquired on the first frame only. You'll have to switch to the 5.5fps mode if you wish to adjust white balance and exposure etc,and you can shoot in this mode for 3-4 seconds continuously,which is probably more practical for a "sequence" anyway- as opposed to just 1 seconds movement.
Practical uses of the above are obviously sporting sequences or twitchy wildlife etc- basically if you like shooting moving targets,the FZ-150 beats the Canon.
With regards IQ straight out of the camera,there really isn't much in it at all- the Panny may have the edge in slight detail,but the Canon might have the edge in high iso noise control- but again,only just and the differences aren't really worth talking about.
There are many users of the FZ-150 on the forums here- pop over to the Panasonic section and seek out some users there. I'm sure they'd be happy to give any advice...