Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2012, 6:23 PM   #1
Default Help me fill my lens bag

I recently got a bonus at work and wanted to use the opportunity to take my hobby more seriously after 10 years with a Nikon DSLR. After a load of research I've come to the conclusion that the 60D is the best camera going for me as I'm keen on both stills and video. My choice of lenses would be the:
  • Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
  • Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM
  • Tokina ATX 116 PRO DX AF11-16mm F/2.8
  • Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Although this collection is missing a longer telephoto I was hoping to make do with the 100mm. I generally like to travel on foot and both the weight and expense of a decent telephoto is really beyond my current limits (from experience I'm fed up of cheap zooms). My interests are more urban with outdoor portraiture and architecture but extends into macro, the occasional trip into the country, low light and the usual family photos. For video I've been experimenting with short films made mostly from footage on travels with my daughter, but I'd like to be more creative. Basically I'm interested in opinions on my choice. I've tried to cover as many bases as I can and also for the highest quality within budget (about 2.5K/$3.7K including camera). This is all purely amateur and I have no plans for professional work, but I do want quality results. Anyone have comments, better recommendations, criticisms, or even just some simple encouragement or even discouragement?
jstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2012, 3:09 AM   #2

i have the tokina and its a very good lens, a little heavier than most but its results are impresive.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 1:36 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Nice set, but you are you sure about the 50 for a crop camera?

I'd prefer the 28 f1.8 for a "normal" - your 100mm f2.8 will do fine as a "portrait" telephoto.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote